Dually differences

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think that the o-ring on the cap went in that far.

If the hub is in otherwise good condition, just put a little rtv along that area before installing the cap.

James

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I set the o ring in there, dang she's close! I may try the silicone idea... I'm currently in conversations with the eBay seller....
You must be registered for see images attach

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that I have never looked at the dually hubs all that close. I figured that the cap sealed on that outer surface like the 1/2 and 3/4 tons do.

I think that silicone should be fine, all it has to do is keep dirt and water out.

James

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well another small thing I found that was different, and frankly can't believe I didnt think of it until I went to mount the rotors on.... SRW hubs rotors are held on by the lug stud. DRW they are bolted on... I dont have any of the bolts.

Looking into it, they use a proprietary bolt that has a 12 point flange head, 9/16-12 1.5" bolt. Part# QU20594. Guess what no one has locally and everyone wants a boatload of money for online...

So I went to Grainger and got myself some grade 12 capscrews instead. They zipped right in. Now I just need to find a torque spec for em.

You must be registered for see images attach

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
FWIW, the bolt-on rotor shows up in other ford dually stuff. 2wd hubs with separable rotors, and some disc rears... just other places to score the odd bolts from.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Only place that had a dually at a wrecker was in Vancouver, WA. Almost an hour drive in rush hour traffic. These bolts went right in and torqued up. I torqued them to 115 ftlbs

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went to Grainger and got myself some grade 12 capscrews instead.
Grainger was probably just a slightly smaller boatload unless you have the better account other than regular Joe off the street.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Only place that had a dually at a wrecker was in Vancouver, WA. Almost an hour drive in rush hour traffic. These bolts went right in and torqued up. I torqued them to 115 ftlbs
Whatever gets the job done! :cheers:

I realized I was sitting on 32 of such bolts, within my collection of random ford parts.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Grainger was probably just a slightly smaller boatload unless you have the better account other than regular Joe off the street.
I used my work account, $41 for 20 bolts and 25 split lock washers. Better than the $18 per bolt I saw online.
I imagine they didnt used an Allen capscrew due to rust and it rounding out. Luckily that typically isn't an issue where I am.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
For those who have a natural dually, how does the spare tire go up, rim up to tank or rim down?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thats ok, due to bad luck I'm on the hunt for yet another rim... In the meantime I'm just gonna ride without a spare and pray for better luck.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you say the chevy wheel specs the same other than the center hole, why not see how much a machine shop would charge to bore the hole out?

James

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ive thought about it, but I dont know of any machine shops. I'm sure there are tons of them out here, I would just need to look.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The spare for my Bronco was a Chevy rim. Someone (not mentioning any names here) torched out the center hole so it would fit on Fords. That's why it was a spare only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty