Belt part numbers

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like V belts are a bit maintenance heavy, best bet is to check tension monthly, and at every oil change of course. I do weekly routine checkups on my service truck every Sunday afternoon, just to make sure all is well.

Serpentine belts are a lot lower maintenance, usually they last longer, but if they give you trouble they can be an even bigger pain in the rear… another plus to a V belt system is that if you have a problem with a belt driven accessory, especially on these trucks, you can typically get away with disconnecting the belt to that accessory, like in a locked up AC compressor, alternator, vacuum pump, or power steering pump.

**I don’t recommend driving around with things disconnected like that, but it can get you to the parts store**

Have had vacuum pumps lock up on me, with a serpentine belt that would be devastating… have heard of plenty AC compressors and some alternators going that way… with only one belt, if you have a problem then you can’t disconnect the belt because then you aren’t spinning your water pump.

Due to my service truck having hydroboost brakes, the vacuum pump only operates the HVAC system. After having many vacuum pump related issues with it, I eventually got an electric vac pump from a 99-07 truck, and wired it in such that it is making vacuum unless the panel is set to ‘off’ It really works quite well, and these pumps are known to be plenty more reliable.

I can’t get a power steering pump worth a damn, but it appears that people who buy the new not reman Edelmann 6014R are generally quite happy with it, so I am planning to go that route. The hydroboost brakes are most certainly a worthwhile upgrade, @Nero you oughta put a hydroboost system in your truck if you haven’t already… the difference is insane…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It has a 3/8" hole in the bracket too to help with it.
1/2" hole
Alternator tends to be floppy on the longest run between the water pump and alternator. if it's not squealing, it's probably ok.
This is correct as far as I'm concerned. If you watch, you don't have to raise the RPM much above an idle and that belt stops flopping.

Rupert8

Reaction score
Hi,

Following on from the above, I picked up a Krikit belt tension gauge. Cool little thing. Anyone know what the recommended tension is on the four v belts? I'm concerned I have the alternator belt too tight (to prevent the 'flapping' I see at idle, but noted on @IDIBRONCO's comment) but I'm only getting a reading of around 30lbs.....
Hmm.

Thanks.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My solution to the long side of the alternator belt triangle. This is gonna do more to dangle the carrot than actually help, but...

There's only 3 ways to tackle that long belt:
1. Turn up the idle so high the belt doesn't wobble anymore. :sly
2. Do the above fix
3. Buy the best belts possible and don't under or over tighten.

I like to combine 2 and 3! :Thumbs Up I broke 3-4 of those long alternator belts years ago. Eventually I realized I was over-tightening them to failure, trying to get that awful wobble out of them. Eventually I figured out the idler pulley hack and it's been smooth ever since, been 7+ years on the same belt.
I also agree with @Cubey that the best belts are the Gates Fleetrunner nowadays, very good stuff. My fav was Goodyear Gatorback but apparently they sold out to Continental in 2015, which is probably when my last Alt bet was replaced. :rotflmao