Different Oil Filter (read)

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A grinder? It's 1/2 inch fatter and 4 inches longer, what has to be ground away?
There is a cross member that needs a little shaving to make the filter fit--not much but at least on my truck there was no way the filter would line up with the threads before grinding.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive posted this several times in response to questions about oil filters but its worth repeating.

Purolator makes the oil filters for motorcraft and has for years. Purolators quality control has been garbage for at least 10 years now if not longer. They have issues with the pleats of the oil filters tearing and letting un filtered oil by. I have cut open several motorcraft filters and seen it first hand. One was a FL1995 that was ran on my 84 6.9. This is a known issue too just google purolator tearing. I have contacted purolator a couple times in regards to their quality control issues and they refuse to admit there is an issue. I'm not the only one either that has received the same response. So because of that I stopped using purolator made filters years ago.

If you want a good oil filter use Donaldson, Fleetguard, Baldwin or even Fram. Fram is probably the most hated brand on the internet but at least their quality control is up to par. I have cut open hundreds of filters and have yet to see a failed Fram.

Now lets talk about Wix for a minute because wix was once a good filter. Mann Hummel bough Wix several years ago and has ran the quality into the ground. What was once a good filter is no longer sadly.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know about wix. Doesn't wix make a lot of the napa branded oil filters?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting YT Vid about who makes NAPA Filters etc...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dang, so now I have a shelf full of crappy MotorCraft Filters..HMMM
I have 3 old used filters still sitting on the wire screen over the drain pan.
need to purchase a Filter cutter opener thingy to take a lookie see what`s
inside. According to what you are saying CDX825.

Goat

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Glad to see that wix filters are still rated well since I just bought a case of them.
Really depends on where they are made. Mann Hummel might be a decent company but they have cheapened the Wix line. Mann hummel also bought purolator and as a result their have been purolator filters re labeled as wix filters. Like I said in my previous post purolator quality control is crap and since mann hummel bought wix they haven't been much better.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Here is the picture I had of the FL1A I cut open with a torn pleat. If you look at the right side of the picture you can see the base plate and where the glue mark is from where the pleat was from the factory before it tore and collapsed. Kinda hard to see but look for the V shaped mark in the glue. Picture is dated 2012 so that shows you how long this problem has been going on.

Attachments

• DSC02537.JPG
    DSC02537.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 12

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came across this site that has the Luber Finer oil filter for the Power Stroke.
What`s the story on these? good, bad and ugly.
They have the FL-1995 also for $20, but need to factor in shipping.

I was searching for the Mann Filter for my Mercedes Diesels. They seem now to be in the $16 - $30 range. Then this site has them for $8.59. These the real deal or made in China?
Was thinking of ordering a dozen.
I know nelsromlinson has a MB maybe will see this.

https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com...senger-car-and-light-truck-617-180-00-09.html

Goat

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I came across this site that has the Luber Finer oil filter for the Power Stroke.
What`s the story on these? good, bad and ugly.
They have the FL-1995 also for $20, but need to factor in shipping.

I was searching for the Mann Filter for my Mercedes Diesels. They seem now to be in the $16 - $30 range. Then this site has them for $8.59. These the real deal or made in China?
Was thinking of ordering a dozen.
I know nelsromlinson has a MB maybe will see this.

https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com...senger-car-and-light-truck-617-180-00-09.html

Goat
Luber finer is good. They are made by Champion Laboratories. Champion Laboratories makes filters for a lot of different brands. They make the Amsoil filters, Royal purple filters, Fram filters Endurance line of filters, Champ filters and Luber finer filters among others.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really depends on where they are made. Mann Hummel might be a decent company but they have cheapened the Wix line. Mann hummel also bought purolator and as a result their have been purolator filters re labeled as wix filters. Like I said in my previous post purolator quality control is crap and since mann hummel bought wix they haven't been much better.
Ugh, back to being sad again. I guess I'll have to carve open my filters to confirm suspicions.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ugh, back to being sad again. I guess I'll have to carve open my filters to confirm suspicions.
Cut one open and see how it looks. If its old stock wix then its probably good. New stock is hit or miss. They are still making filters at the old plant but from what I heard from one of the locals is that man hummel is running a skeleton crew and obviously quality control is slipping.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure miss filterbarndotcom.

Let alone being able to buy $30 filters for $3 apiece and free shipping when over $100/order, filterbarn had the absolute best easiest all-in-one-place filter cross reference I ever saw anywhere.

Type in a filter number and thouwzands of brands and part-numbers would show up; and, every last one of them would be a fit.

I have and still would use Donaldson, FleetGard, and Baldwin.

Currently, I have a bunch of the black Luber-Finer on hand and one on the engine right now.

I am not going to look in my three big boxes out there on the shelf to see just how long I can still go; I am not even going to shake or feel the weight.

It sure is going to be a sad day when I have to pay "normal" over-price for a few filters.

I put a see-thru GoldenRod in the fuel line of my truck and have not changed a fuel filter in years, not since adding the GoldenRod; way every once in a blue moon, I will screw off the big deep bowl and dump and rinse it out.

I wonder how a GoldenRod would behave as an auxiliary oil filter.

Filter head adapters are commonly available for the Cummins and should be for the IDI; the oil filter could be relocated to a more convenient location and much cheaper 3/4-16 (?I think?) filters could be used; even a dual filter head could be employed with a fine and a coarse filter = replace the coarse filter every third change or so and the fine almost never.

I sure miss filterbarndotcom.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good video, BUT, read the boxes, not all the filter lines are being made in usa, some boxes say mann-hummel, some dont. We source napa as we have a great pricing structure but lose one engine and that is moot. On our new equipment they will not warranty anything unless factory filters are used, and they look like **** when opened up.
For now ill stick with napa or baldwin, which I have a case of from the uhaul ebay days.
JM2C