Chronic repeated mouse/rat problem

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I did have a 2014 toyota car that I could not keep mice out of. Finally figured out they were getting in through the cabin air filter. They would chew a hole in it and fill the air box with acorns. Turn out, an insurance claim guy told me, that the insulation on the wiring in newer cars is made from processing soybeans which is why they like to chew it. I know this is absolutely no help but I do understand your frustration. I know they make some electronic deterants but I am not sure how well they work
You must be registered for see images attach
The old 1980 trailer I had, had rat chewed wires. The IDI RV had some chewed wires too. Both from before i got it.

Those ultrasonic things don't work.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
next time you get peanut butter get chunky, then wedge one of the chunks in the trip piece. That way they really have to work at it to get it. That should set the trap off. I have caught some tiny mice using that method. I think only once or twice have I had it fail.

I have dry roasted peanuts on hand, so I could just crush up one and mix it into peanut butter and have chunky

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Few year ago saw these Victor electronic traps. The 4 we bought take 4 "C" Batteries.
They do work, caught a Pack Rat and a Kangaroo Rat at the same time.
Also caught 2 ground Squirrels. So the do have some oomph.

Note: 2 below links are just for a visual, what I found in my Google search.

Just bought a new style one off e-Bay, new design. 2 little stair ways up to the top.
Once inside they get zapped, then a little motor turns the chamber and dumps the
mouse in a tray you pull out and dump. Will hold up to 10 mice.
It then resets it`s self for the next victim.
One I got off E-Bay was around $50. this HD one is $89.
Check out the video.

I set this above one by the corner of the Garage door where they come in.
Checked this morning and have one spider in the tray...LOL
5ft beyond it one in the snap trap, and 2nd snap trap tripped with dead mouse along side it.

Caught another on this morning in snap trap by right hind leg and part of body, trying to drag it off.
Whacked him a piece of "Humane"" fire wood. then let him go. Part of my catch and release program.

Note: No Mice were harmed in this presentation.

Goat

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 little stair ways up to the top.
Would that be a 'stairway to rodent heaven'...?

and then they get dumped to rodent hell....

Those ultrasonic things don't work.
that was the conclusion I got from a chinese laundry operating out of an old 7-11 store back in the 80's...
I have also had scenes of chaos. They trip one trap, and the other trap is gone. You sometimes have to look for it, and 50% of the time the mouse is in the trap, the other 50% the trap got hooked on something and they pulled their leg or their tail out of it.
I think I am supposed to be sorry for the rodents...or something...

But I just can't help but laugh at this one...

I had to trap a couple out of my truck a few weeks ago...one had gotten into my stack of rags and lint-free cloths...I was ticked...hadda clean out the filthy mess and then I was on a rampage to clear out the varmints...

I used a couple of those fancy traps...worked good...

It seems to be always something...never can relax and just take it easy...

DougBoy66

Reaction score
Who's brilliant idea was that...??
Great question! You would think that the manufacturer would add a deterrent to make them not so tasty.
What I did come away from that conversation with the insurance rep is, if you are keeping your vehicle in storage, keep your comprehensive coverage at least. It costs nearly nothing and covers damage from rodents or other animals, say if bears took a liking to your truck.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that first link that @Old Goat provided; I was reading the product description and it left off the sentence at "mice have the ability to restart their hearts...", so I had to Google search that one. Turns out that mice can restart their hearts after electrocution. Who knew?! The things I learn from this forum...

I pop them off with my 22 and Bird Shot out the kitchen window at night
I gotta say, this seems to be the most efficient method of eradication. Try restarting your heart after that one.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that first link that @Old Goat provided; I was reading the product description and it left off the sentence at "mice have the ability to restart their hearts...", so I had to Google search that one. Turns out that mice can restart their hearts after electrocution. Who knew?! The things I learn from this forum...

I gotta say, this seems to be the most efficient method of eradication. Try restarting your heart after that one.
After reading your post, just remembered I got 4 or 5 Coyote`s out the kitchen window
with the 20 gauge.
One evening was a bunch, and a couple juvinile`s. Got one 15ft from the window. His buddy
comes back "Hey Fred, whardyago?" BOOM, got him. Dragged them out behind the shop and out in the Gully.

Be aware what is beyond the light from the patio.
Grandkids wee over and were out doing what ever they do.
next day Iam out back doing what ever i was doing and notice the R/R window on the Mercedes was shattered. Damn kids.
Wellll later notice these little pock marks on the 2 doors, oops... :Q in my haste to get the Coyote, shot the Mercedes and.... one tire on the trailer it was sitting on.
Lucky I guess, the windows have the dark tint, and it held the window together, at
least keep`s the weather out.
Picked it up for $350, girl didn`t check the oil, and seezed the engine.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The snap traps have stopped being effective. It cleaned most of the peanut butter off of the 3 Victor traps, without setting any off.

Then got in the metal trap. I heard it chewing on the metal all night.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Line the traps up side by side. They can't get to the middle one without stepping over the other ones. Then see what happens.

Yep, and I opened the clips with a screwdriver and shoved in a piece of dog kibble, so they have to really work to get it.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great question! You would think that the manufacturer would add a deterrent to make them not so tasty.
What I did come away from that conversation with the insurance rep is, if you are keeping your vehicle in storage, keep your comprehensive coverage at least. It costs nearly nothing and covers damage from rodents or other animals, say if bears took a liking to your truck.
CAT uses rat u r i n e in their wiring, believe it or not, that is a very good deterrent…

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, and I opened the clips with a screwdriver and shoved in a piece of dog kibble, so they have to really work to get it.

What I have to do sometimes with these traps also, is tweak them with needle nose pliers. If they are easy to set, then they are not very good. You want to bend the piece that holds the catch so you have to try and try to get it to set. And the you have to carefully set it down or it will go off. From the factory some of these traps are not very good without messing with them a little bit. Just make sure you handle them when set from the edges, in case they go off in your hand.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
What I have to do sometimes with these traps also, is tweak them with needle nose pliers. If they are easy to set, then they are not very good. You want to bend the piece that holds the catch so you have to try and try to get it to set. And the you have to carefully set it down or it will go off. From the factory some of these traps are not very good without messing with them a little bit. Just make sure you handle them when set from the edges, in case they go off in your hand.

I tried with one and ruined it. I couldn't ever seem to bend it back right for some reason.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan