BW1356 VS BW4407 Driveshaft Length Difference

Willard3663

Reaction score
So I swapped my 96 extended cab long bed from an auto E4OD to a 5 speed ZF5. I have the Borg Warner 4407 transfer case that uses the flat flange face that the driveshaft bolts to with 4 bolts. I am trying to find both the front and rear driveshafts now, but here is my question. Are the rear driveshafts from the same build trucks, just older (so the 1356 transfer case) with the slip yolk style (transfer case end of the 2 piece shaft) the same length forward u-joint to carrier bearing? Basically could I use a driveshaft from a extended cab long bed truck that had the 1356 transfer case with the slip yolk, just take that slip yolk off at the u-joint and put the flange style yolk off my current shaft that's now too short on the longer shaft that I now need due to the ZF5 being shorter than the E4OD? I have searched the internet over and can not find the info I'm needing before I go digging through the salvage yards taking driveshafts out.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might be easier to put the flange on the tranny and the rear end and measure the distance between the center of the u-joint cups. Make sure they are phased the same; level between the u-joint cups on each end.I did this on my Jeep CJ-2a with a Turbomatic 400 in place of the standard tranny. It turned out that the driveshaft was all end joints and no shaft. It looked weird but ran just fine with no vibrations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty

Members online

No members online now.