best moded or turbo injection pump for my buck?

87wmoburnner

Reaction score
I have a 87 350 4x4 four door 4x c6 gear vendors 4.10s with a dead ip it has a banks turbo (the old style) and a fresh rebuild on the motor. I would like a moded pump built by someone who knows what there doing and I don't wanna spend a 1000 bucks on it. Would love to do a moose but its a lil out of my price range. Can anyone point me towards a good builder who can give me a lil more fuel than my stock turend up pump for a decent price?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I would go with a moose pump from Mel on here pm him for price list but it's around 700 for a full moose an the baby which should be a bit less like 100 off more don recal but just call him personally at conestoga diesel. Tell him your an Ob member an what your looking for he will be more than glad to give you any info you could possibly ask.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone here will tell you to save up for the moose. And they are probably right.

87wmoburnner

Reaction score
I know and I hope I can but I need my truck to make money and it down so I can't really save money without a means to make it

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
you can put any model pump that came on the 6.9/7.3 idis on there, turbo or not. As far as I know there was not much difference in the turbo pumps in stock form vs the non turbo pumps in stock form. I would bet if all you have done is a turbo that is all you will need once you crank the fuel screw up

87wmoburnner

Reaction score
I already had my stock pump maxed out and it was still gutless as hell only pulled about 9 pounds boost and could never get the egt over 1100. I wanna get some bigger injectors studs and either water **** or a intercooler. Truck is on 37s and always has a load on it. Pulls a big trailer and spends its life pulling grades

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have you ever timed the engine. If not you need to time it to 9.5degrees btdc by the pulase type timing method.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, lets be honest about your goals. You want more power, but to do that you need to spend $$$. You don't have extra $$$ right now to spend and don't want the truck down. It's not relistic to mod the truck without spending $$$ or having it down for a period of time..... especially when installing studs.

37 inch tires are not a great choice for hauling a load. You'd be much better off with stock size or close to stock size tires for that purpose. Plus, better gearing in the axles would help as well.

Not seeing over 1100 degrees on the pyro is a good thing. You don't want to have them that high consistantly as you will drastically shorten the life of our IDI.

My two cents......... Save the cash you need for the parts you need. Moose pump it. Time it properly. New BB code or Moose injectors. Studs if 6.9. "Normal" sized tires. 4.10 gears. Intercooler. Enjoy the rig and it's new power.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way. You can get the best IP for your needs at Conestoga Diesel. It is the home of the Moose pump, Moose injectors and Mel Agne (Agnem is his handle here) is now the owner. I'm personally known Mel for years and he is a trustworthy man and his parts are proven over and over on trucks here at OB, on trucks at other sites, on trucks around the world (literally).

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 87 350 4x4 four door 4x c6 gear vendors 4.10s
All this and you are running 37's as well...according to my eyes...your outta yer league or range when it comes to running 37's by this chart and especially so when it's an auto...both charts actually. This is important as your not getting the truck to operate in its best range for power. especially since your running loads and grades!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

..... it has a banks turbo (the old style) and a fresh rebuild on the motor. I would like a moded pump built by someone who knows what there doing and I don't wanna spend a 1000 bucks on it........
You likely WONT get a good modded pump for less than that by someone who knows what they are doing...and If you do...KEN DPS for example you won't get what you think your paying for! IT"S PROVEN TIME AND AGAIN DPS sucks....Try ebay for a Uhaul pump if there are any left...

Would love to do a moose but its a lil out of my price range.
Then if a MOOSE is outta your price range you really should not be looking for anything other than stock! You won't get a good pump that's hot rodded for the price of less than stock

.....Can anyone point me towards a good builder who can give me a lil more fuel than my stock turend up pump for a decent price?
MOOSE....Mel .....affordable reliable quality build....want more see Justin and his Hybrid! ...Oh wait..you don't want to spend a grand on a pump..ok lets look at options...

used of a runner from the junkyard...150-250
Baby Moose
Moose
Super Moose
Justin's

The last two are surely over a grand....

I already had my stock pump maxed out and it was still gutless as hell only pulled about 9 pounds boost and could never get the egt over 1100. I wanna get some bigger injectors studs and either water **** or a intercooler. Truck is on 37s and always has a load on it. Pulls a big trailer and spends its life pulling grades

As mentioned EGT over 1100 BAD idea...Gutless as hell...well maybe a dying IP and some weak injectors have a lot to do with that??????

How about the fact your running 37's and 4.10 gears with an auto...that's gotta suck up power there big time! HUGE actually...

CHROME don't get ya home boy and running that tyre size kills autos fast when grades and weight come to play together....a C6 is a killer trans but don't expect to run with the big dogs even with the GV...your outside the design envelope of the package of parts you have hobbled together...

At best try some 255/85/16's you'll be happy you did, then get a decent pump and new injectors pop tested and matched...you'll be pleased you did...

As for what Heath said...ya...I'm inline with his thoughts...well said Heath

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, lets be honest about your goals. You want more power, but to do that you need to spend $$$. You don't have extra $$$ right now to spend and don't want the truck down. It's not relistic to mod the truck without spending $$$ or having it down for a period of time..... especially when installing studs.

37 inch tires are not a great choice for hauling a load. You'd be much better off with stock size or close to stock size tires for that purpose. Plus, better gearing in the axles would help as well.

Not seeing over 1100 degrees on the pyro is a good thing. You don't want to have them that high consistantly as you will drastically shorten the life of our IDI.

My two cents......... Save the cash you need for the parts you need. Moose pump it. Time it properly. New BB code or Moose injectors. Studs if 6.9. "Normal" sized tires. 4.10 gears. Intercooler. Enjoy the rig and it's new power.

Heath

word

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nighthawk14

Members online