7.3 idi hx35 turbo build

Chuckwobbel

Reaction score
Hello New on This forum, Im from Sweden and have a 86-f250 t19 trans dana 60 front swap,

i just finished building my homemade turbo kit with a hx 35 and intercooler, here are some build pictures

I have some questions about catch can size, and turbo back pressure, does anyone know What turbo back pressure a 7.3 idi can have?

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    471.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0679.jpeg
    IMG_0679.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 15

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Start googling about HX35 drive pressure. Commonly discussed in dodge/cummins context.

I fear the higher displacement and higher rpm range of the idi could make this challenging.

Read up on the H2E turbo conversion. That's the more common Holset turbo adaptation, for powerstrokes anyway.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size turbine housing you have on that hx35, its stamped on the inlet to the turbine? I have twin hx35's with 10cm housing and is about right in size to have non wastgated housings, with about 6psi back presure high in the rpm with no load. I dont have my gauge panel sorted and dont have a long enough high heat to have my other gauge in the cab, to get you anymore data. For a single, you would not want a 10cm or 12cm turbine but a 14cm might fly with a wastegate. I would think optimal would be a 16cm or 18cm turbine housing, so that a wastegate might not be needed to keep drive pressure down. The turbine housing Im using, dose not seem to have boost till about 1400-1500 and I fine with that since gives increasing boost all the way up to and probably well past 2800rpm. I see probability that I could step down to 8cm hx30 turbines to get boost off idle but dont see need to test that, in turn is why I think 16-18cm would work non wastgated and 14cm might out work with a wastgate. After you have picked a turbine housing size and tested it to see where boost starts and end, you can move that range a few 100s of a rpm by going bigger or smaller with the compressor wheel and matching housing. Im not sure if a single would react the same as my twins, but going from 54mm billet wheels to 50mm billet wheels moved the boost range down ~500rpm.

You must be registered for see images

Chuckwobbel

Reaction score
Start googling about HX35 drive pressure. Commonly discussed in dodge/cummins context.

I fear the higher displacement and higher rpm range of the idi could make this challenging.

Read up on the H2E turbo conversion. That's the more common Holset turbo adaptation, for powerstrokes anyway.
Okey the hx35 has a 12 exhust housing, the turbo is from a 96 cummins, i got some fear the exhust housing is Littel to small, i Will try to check the backpressur

Chuckwobbel

Reaction score
What size turbine housing you have on that hx35, its stamped on the inlet to the turbine? I have twin hx35's with 10cm housing and is about right in size to have non wastgated housings, with about 6psi back presure high in the rpm with no load. I dont have my gauge panel sorted and dont have a long enough high heat to have my other gauge in the cab, to get you anymore data. For a single, you would not want a 10cm or 12cm turbine but a 14cm might fly with a wastegate. I would think optimal would be a 16cm or 18cm turbine housing, so that a wastegate might not be needed to keep drive pressure down. The turbine housing Im using, dose not seem to have boost till about 1400-1500 and I fine with that since gives increasing boost all the way up to and probably well past 2800rpm. I see probability that I could step down to 8cm hx30 turbines to get boost off idle but dont see need to test that, in turn is why I think 16-18cm would work non wastgated and 14cm might out work with a wastgate. After you have picked a turbine housing size and tested it to see where boost starts and end, you can move that range a few 100s of a rpm by going bigger or smaller with the compressor wheel and matching housing. Im not sure if a single would react the same as my twins, but going from 54mm billet wheels to 50mm billet wheels moved the boost range down ~500rpm.

You must be registered for see images
Okey the housing im useing is a 12, wastegated, i get boost at 1200-1300 rpm, Im thinking of hx40-16cm wastegated turbo

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okey the housing im useing is a 12, wastegated, i get boost at 1200-1300 rpm, Im thinking of hx40-16cm wastegated turbo

You go up to a hx40, you will be going to bigger turbine wheel and in turn will move boost up in the rpm. Reason I metioned the hx30 turbine as the next step of adjustment for my setup, is that it would give me a smaller turbine since I cant go any smaller with the compressor wheel. Holsets are a little like legos, in that certain parts can mix and match but other need a little machine work to fit together. Here is the first three 16cm turbine housing I finding for sale and not seeing any 18cm ones right now. Going with this might not move your boost range much if any vs going with a hx40 that will move it a lot. Also will free up exhaust flow and give better egt over what you have now.

16cm A
16cm B
16cm C

Chuckwobbel

Reaction score
You go up to a hx40, you will be going to bigger turbine wheel and in turn will move boost up in the rpm. Reason I metioned the hx30 turbine as the next step of adjustment for my setup, is that it would give me a smaller turbine since I cant go any smaller with the compressor wheel. Holsets are a little like legos, in that certain parts can mix and match but other need a little machine work to fit together. Here is the first three 16cm turbine housing I finding for sale and not seeing any 18cm ones right now. Going with this might not move your boost range much if any vs going with a hx40 that will move it a lot. Also will free up exhaust flow and give better egt over what you have now.

16cm A
16cm B
16cm C
Okay Thanks for info

I want to use wastegate, and the only housing that the holset hx35 has with wastegate is 12cm, and the only wastegate housing that is on a hx40 is with the 16cm housing
I don't think I have room for an external wastegate typ

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay Thanks for info

I want to use wastegate, and the only housing that the holset hx35 has with wastegate is 12cm, and the only wastegate housing that is on a hx40 is with the 16cm housing
I don't think I have room for an external wastegate typ

Went digging to see what is next up in size and has a wastegate, where I cam up with this...

he351 with 14cm turbine

This about what I could find on info for it. I believe it is using a hx35 size turbine wheel but has a bigger compressor wheel at 58mm inducer and 85mm exducer, so would be a little bigger than a latter hx35 wheel with a 83mm exducer. What I find on it, is there is better flow even tho it bigger.

he351 info???

Next up in options Im finding would be before a full on hx40, is a hx40 super and this is housing for it. It would take the turbine up to a 76mm/64mm, from the 70mm/60mm of the hx35 but not to the 76mm/67mm of a full hx40.

hx40 super turbine housing
76mm/64mm turbine wheel

This is a core so you dont have to canabilize the hx35 you have if you are wanting to resale it.

hx40/hx35 chra
rebuild kit

Im not sure what size compressor wheel youd want to go with on this super, but entering part numbers for wheel after this string will help you in finding a matching cover.

string

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over on the other side of the aisle with the 6.5 guys, they are liking the spec of this hx40 but this one wont have many quality parts. I talked with one then in the past that also did twin hx35's, that was getting close to same response but said was using a 9cm vs the 10cm I have.

hx40wII

So this would be the wheel youd want to compleat the parts for that hx40 super, but not seeing one with a matching cover so would have to get a smaller one machined to fit this wheel.

hx35 56mm/78mm comp wheel

Edit: Since you have a hx35 all ready, it be cheaper for you if you want to go with hx40 super parts to use its compressor wheel and cover to test function. This will give you a starting point to what size compressor wheel you want, youd be looking for where boost starts and seeing if its falling off before 2800rpm.

Last edited:

Chuckwobbel

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help Finding parts i think of geting s hx40super 16cm