7.3 IDI excessive oil usage

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a suggestion that hasn’t been mentioned yet: Liqui Moly Diesel Purge. It’s supposed to clean built up carbon off of the injector tip and chamber. The way you’re supposed to use it is to hook up your fuel intake and return hoses to a container full of diesel purge, and just run your engine off of it until the container runs out. The VW TDI guys swear by it, and you can find a number of videos on YouTube about it. You might try soaking the rings with it as well.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Can confirm, works wonders on thr vp33 pumps. I've used it on my idi before but didnt see a difference between it and power service

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard good things about Liqui Moly Diesel Purge as well. I purchases some and was going to do the full treatment but ended up just replacing the injectors. It's still on my shelf. Just curious how hard are you running the engine after these soakings? I was under the impression you want to run it like you stole it. If no improvement is detected then soak again while it's still hot and repeat.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That is correct, you want to fully excersise the pump to work Anything loose and burn it out

Last edited:

Camp

Reaction score
Copy that about running it hard. I haven't done that, yet. It's a little tricky as the first thing it's probably going to do is smoke like crazy - possibly worse than before - and I need a place I can do that without someone calling the fire department on me. I'll see what I can figure out. Maybe take it up the freeway grade at night and claim ignorance it's smoking at all....