1985 6.9L questions???? Any Help would be appreciated

younggun12005

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing an 85' F250 4spd. It has a cracked bellhousing and i am needing to know what transmissions came in these trucks so i can see if its worth the purchase and if i can even find a replacement one for this truck. Have been told that a 7.3L bellhousing may work but i cannot find a definate answer. Any help?? Thanks

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
In 85, your only two transmission options were C6 and the 4 spd. From what I understand the ZF5 (1987-1994?) will also swap in with some minor modifications.

If you do a Search (top of the page) you can most likely find where others have researched the same issue.

Thad

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are talking about a 4 speed since you mention changing the bell housing. The only issue with the 7.3 is that they used a ZF5 which has the bellhousing and transmission made as a unit. I would tend to think that someone on here would have a 4 speed bellhousing though and will post at some point. If you are talking automatic, it would be a C6 and again, you can't change just the bellhousing, it's all one piece. The 7.3 used the E4OD and requires a computer unit to function.

Hope that helps. (this is all of considering everything is stock). The 4 speed is a T19D if memory serves and some of the older ones used a T18. The T19 has a removable plate on each side for a PTO while the T18 only has one plate.

Let us know what you have and we can better direct you.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
the 6.9 IDI and 7.3 IDI are identical only differences are the cubic inches and a few HP. As far as transmission you have a choice between a few for automatics you have the C6 its bulletproof but no OD, then you have the E4OD it has OD but its all electronic and problematic. For manuals you have the 4 speed, real simple but again no OD, then you have the ZF 5 which is the main choice of transmissions for many of us. A Zf 5 will run you about 400-700 depending if you can find a good deal. I bought mine for $400 for everything. It took a weekend to swap from auto to manual, for you it would probably take a day and a half since yours is already manual. If pricing is a big deal on your decision you should get a C6 automatic cause they are a dime a dozen, (mine is for sale for $200.) It just all depends on what you can get your hands on.