Won’t shut down, keeps idling even with FSS wires pulled.

Kingralph88

Reaction score
Engine wont shut down, idled for 30+ minutes with key turned in the off position.

Had a problem with the IP sticking and would shut off randomly when driving switching gears. Fuel was a little old when PO sold it. Used Diesel Klean in a new filter to break up some gummy fuel in the IP

Been running great until recently when the I go to park and shut it down. The key would turn all the way off in the “Lock” position & pull it the key. The truck would keep running for maybe 5-20 more seconds then shut down.

Today I’ve been running some errands and when I shut it down she keeps running (idling). I tried pulling the IP red wire for the power and nothing happens, even turned the power back on with the IP completely unplugged and drove it 5 miles around my neighborhood.

I think the FSS is being stuck open somehow, I am going to inspect the IP tomorrow, let me know what you guys think!

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine wont shut down, idled for 30+ minutes with key turned in the off position.

Had a problem with the IP sticking and would shut off randomly when driving switching gears. Fuel was a little old when PO sold it. Used Diesel Klean in a new filter to break up some gummy fuel in the IP

Been running great until recently when the I go to park and shut it down. The key would turn all the way off in the “Lock” position & pull it the key. The truck would keep running for maybe 5-20 more seconds then shut down.

Today I’ve been running some errands and when I shut it down she keeps running (idling). I tried pulling the IP red wire for the power and nothing happens, even turned the power back on with the IP completely unplugged and drove it 5 miles around my neighborhood.

I think the FSS is being stuck open somehow, I am going to inspect the IP tomorrow, let me know what you guys think!
My 90 F350 did this, I am pretty sure it was this

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is a sticky FSS something that might be helped by soaking in ATF? In the past I've filled the fuel filter with ATF and then let the engine run only long enough to fill the IP and then let it sit/soak overnight.

Kingralph88

Reaction score
I will soak it in ATF for a while and turn her back on and see what happens and report back.

Did this to fix the truck from shutting down, haha now doing this to fix it from staying running lol!

Kingralph88

Reaction score
Replaced my FSS and it still doesn’t want to shut down, it is not running away or rapidly gaining rpm.. just idles, what’s funny is I actually put the new FSS and everything back together and forgot to plug in the FSS and turned it over and it still ran..

I know this new FSS works did I install this incorrectly? I don’t think I did but could that be the problem?

Kingralph88

Reaction score
Took off the IP head to double check, tested the FSS before I put it back on and yes indeed it does work. I put it back on and crank it up, go to turn it off and yes it works, not sure what happened! I go to take her on a spin and I have maybe 10% power. I floor it and it just doesn’t want to rise in RPM, takes 45 seconds to get to 40mph

Could I have air in the system because the head was removed? What’s your thoughts?

When I open the throttle from under the hood (not sure what it’s called, right by the IP) it revs up much more than hitting the throttle when I’m driving (maybe it seems that way because the engine is in my face)

Curious if you guys have ran into this issue

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Could your throttle cable be bad resulting in your inability to gain RPM? That could explain why you can work the throttle under the hood just fine, but not from inside the cab with the pedal.

Kingralph88

Reaction score
I did figure it out, the cheap ass fSS bent, I bought a new FSS and replaced it with the old one.

Got a new problem now with the clutch not engaging at all lol, made a post about it just now ;(

Can’t wait to drive this truck with no/small problems. Working out kinks right now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online