Whats this leaking now?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
the worst definitely appears to be in the front and coming down the crankshaft pulley(?). The main hose from the radiator is not the source.
That makes me suspect the water pump.
One interesting thing was that the radiator and hose got pretty hot to the touch but the main hose never became that hard to squeeze/pressurized. Is that a bad sign?
Nope. That's perfectly normal. The top radiator hose takes the hot coolant out of your engine and puts it in the radiator to be cooled down. Since our (Motorcraft) thermostats are supposed to open around 190*, the coolant in the top hose should be 190*+.
My fan has a ton of play in it so guess its probably time to replace that
This confirms my water pump guess in the first answer.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a motorcraft thermostat and gasket from Rockauto arriving Monday and I'm picking up a new water pump and gasket from Napa tomorrow. I'll report back sometime next week!

Hoping this solves my issues. Idk how the magic in a bottle stuff solved the problem last time. I continue to be pretty disappointed in mechanics these days. Years back when he looked at this how would he not have checked that? I feel like mechanics are often a false sense of security. At this point I think I know as much as the base line mechanic but it's MY truck I'm working on so I'll make sure it's done right and safe to drive.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the water pump wasn't bad at that time?
Yeah, could be but I remember it pooling there on the frame too. I think I’m just a little salty because he pawned the work off on someone and didn’t do it himself and then just used the magic in a bottle. No offense to mechanics out there. If you’re a mechanic and on this forum you’re probably a good one that cares too.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a motorcraft thermostat and gasket from Rockauto arriving Monday and I'm picking up a new water pump and gasket from Napa tomorrow. I'll report back sometime next week!

Hoping this solves my issues. Idk how the magic in a bottle stuff solved the problem last time. I continue to be pretty disappointed in mechanics these days. Years back when he looked at this how would he not have checked that? I feel like mechanics are often a false sense of security. At this point I think I know as much as the base line mechanic but it's MY truck I'm working on so I'll make sure it's done right and safe to drive.
I am surprised you cant find a good mechanic where you are. You have some pretty big cities somewat close to you, seems like you should be able to find someone. @IDIoit is pretty far south of you, but maybe he knows someone around. or maybe @Clb? not sure how close he is.

I agree with idibronco, that is almost certainly a waterpump. they are not hard to change just take your time and keep it all clean. also make sure the bolts go in the correct holes, some are shorter than others, and you put sealant one the ones that need it. I can't remember which ones they are but the info is on here somewhere.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm late to the party here, but did someone put hydraulic fluid in the power steering system?
It's clearish...

The pic of the dampner looks like coolant thus waterpump being suspicious ...
T stat housing?

+1 on hitting it with a coolant pressure test.
It's been a long day but I'll reread the thread.
I don't do referrals any longer cuz
Flakes

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one wants to work on these old Diesels. All that Voo Doo under the Hood scares them. cookoo
Several years ago my Oil Cooler blew Oil into the Coolant. Took the truck down to a place here in town, ( I`ll call it Stranded Diesel)
OH your truck is too old, we don`t work on stuff that old.
:bs You work on Power Strokes and almost the same Cooler. :rtfm
So ended up doing it my self. I was better for it as now I understand how it all works, and
goes back together. Plus I flushed out the system of oil better than that shop would have.

Now the next one I do will go quicker.

Goat

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im 2.5 hours away. but could use the cash.
i am not mobile.
pretty proficient on these IDI's as ive built several and continue to punish myself with new builds all the time.
im a machinist by trade and a fabricator as a side gig, so i have to charge shop rate, but i could get you dialed in.

check out some of my builds under this name.
send me a PM if you are interested.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one wants to work on these old Diesels. All that Voo Doo under the Hood scares them. cookoo
Several years ago my Oil Cooler blew Oil into the Coolant. Took the truck down to a place here in town, ( I`ll call it Stranded Diesel)
OH your truck is too old, we don`t work on stuff that old.
It's funny how they say that right? My assumption is that it's because they can't plug something into it that tells them exactly whats wrong. I would have thought this truck was easier to work on than a new one. I know my guy up here doesn't really do the work himself anymore because of age and stuff so the people he hires that are younger have no clue whats going on in the old trucks I guess.
I'm late to the party here, but did someone put hydraulic fluid in the power steering system?
It's clearish...
Im almost 100% sure its not powering steering fluid. Reservoir was still topped up and the steering has always been fine - nice red color in the tank too.
I agree with idibronco, that is almost certainly a waterpump. they are not hard to change just take your time and keep it all clean. also make sure the bolts go in the correct holes, some are shorter than others, and you put sealant one the ones that need it. I can't remember which ones they are but the info is on here somewhere.
I saw in a video that you should just do both the top and bottom middle bolts but I think its most important on the top because of the timing gear.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgot about the part, If thy can`t plug in a device, the Engine cannot be resurected..LOL

When you R&R the Water Pump, lay it on a piece of Cardboard, trace around it and mark
the holes. Then poke holes in the Cardboard. As you remove the Bolts, put them in the
corresponding holes. This way you replace the Bolts in the correct holes.

Just passin on what I read from some one else.

Goat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1wonton

Members online