What would you get?

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to pick up a couple more gauges for my truck. I have spots for three. I already have oil pressure, EGT, and Boost on the pillar. These are going to go overhead, I was going to get fuel pressure, and coolant temperature. What should I do with the third spot? I have a ZF-5 so I dont think I really need a trans temp gauge. What would you put in that third spot?
Also I have hydroboost for my brakes so vacuum is not really important.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Battery volt gauge?

I personally run oil pressure, water temp, egt and boost, my dad runs oil pressure, water temp and voltage since he's n/a.

Sounds like you have most bases covered.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery volt gauge?

I personally run oil pressure, water temp, egt and boost, my dad runs oil pressure, water temp and voltage since he's n/a.

Sounds like you have most bases covered.
I feel like that too. Thats why I was asking incase anyone else had some good ideas of what to put in there.
I’d consider a vacuum gauge.
No vacuum = difficult/no stop.
That's a good idea, but I have hydroboost for my brakes so its not as important. I should put that in the first post so people know that.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I presume that four gauge pod is only for something newer than '86. Glow shift only seems to offer 3 gauge models for mine. Unless you modified and fabricated. Looks good.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was asking incase anyone else had some good ideas of what to put in there.
I have a rear camera because I can't see out of the back window...

How about a cylinder head temp guage..?

Amp guage...?

Analog BS meter...?

White noise calming meter to combat potential road rage..?

Old Chryslers had turn signal operation confirmation lights on the hood (or fender...can't remember exactly where...)to make sure you knew if your turn signals were activated and working...

How about an air pressure guage ?? Go ahead and install air horns with a Happy Tooter that plays..."I'm in the money...!!"

Just some 'off-the-top-of-my-head' suggestions...

Ages ago my Dad put air horns on the top of his Dodge van...

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a rear camera because I can't see out of the back window...

How about a cylinder head temp guage..?

Amp guage...?

Analog BS meter...?

White noise calming meter to combat potential road rage..?

Old Chryslers had turn signal operation confirmation lights on the hood (or fender...can't remember exactly where...)to make sure you knew if your turn signals were activated and working...

How about an air pressure guage ?? Go ahead and install air horns with a Happy Tooter that plays..."I'm in the money...!!"

Just some 'off-the-top-of-my-head' suggestions...

Ages ago my Dad put air horns on the top of his Dodge van...
I am going to pick up a couple more gauges for my truck. I have spots for three. I already have oil pressure, EGT, and Boost on the pillar. These are going to go overhead, I was going to get fuel pressure, and coolant temperature. What should I do with the third spot? I have a ZF-5 so I dont think I really need a trans temp gauge. What would you put in that third spot?
Also I have hydroboost for my brakes so vacuum is not really important.
Oil temp. You should put an engine oil temp gauge there. Then you can keep an eye on the delta (difference) between the engine coolant temp and engine oil temp, nothin like watching your engine oil heat soak goin up a hill and then a healthy oil cooler doing its job by taking care of it and getting the temps back to close deltas.

Our tube type oil coolers are pretty good, not the most efficient per se but plenty reliable, not susceptible to clogging as much as a plate type oil cooler, which was used on the early prototypes of the 6.9s, and a more complex internal version used for the 6.0 and 6.4 PSDs.

But especially with a turbo adding all that heat to the oil, I think an oil temp gauge would be the best bet, to say, @asmith, that’s what I’d put there.

Last edited:

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil temp. You should put an engine oil temp gauge there.
especially with a turbo adding all that heat to the oil, I think an oil temp gauge would be the best bet, to say, @asmith, that’s what I’d put there.

That is an excellent idea...this is one of those that I wish that I had thought of it...now I have this in my mental toolbox...

Thank you very much, @KansasIDI ...you are a sharp cookie...

Do you tow? How about a temp gauge for the rear diff?

I like this one equally well....years ago I knew a guy that had a new rollback that worked up a good grenaded rear axle...he got it fixed under warranty...but I never forgot the story he told me about how it went t!t$ up....

“Beep Beep!”
A roadrunner horn!

I would love to have something like that on my truck....

I’d consider a vacuum gauge.

Me, too...good idea...

Analog BS meter...?
Gonna need a pretty big truck to carry a large enough meter if you're looking for accuracy. @tbowker

I agree...someone should build a purpose-built truck to parade around political events....just for some peoples edification and moral compass corrections....

All you guys are great....I thoroughly enjoy hanging out with y'all.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty

Members online