"Tank" my 91 Crew Cab Dually

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully your tank will go back in with the hitch installed.

I had to pull the hitch off of a 95 powerstroke to get the tank out. We fought it for over an hour trying to get it out before finally giving up and pulling the hitch.

James

Quote that and bookmark it. Those aren't that fun to install with no hitch there.

I'm not on speaking terms with either of you now LOL

You must be registered for see images attach

But... At least I knew what I had to do so there's that hahaha

Those darn lips on the side where the two halves meet are the problem. If it wasn't painted already I probably would have beaten them flat and it would have gone in.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping your luck was better than mine! :rotflmao

Believe me I seriously thought about bending those seams to get it to clear, only reason I didn't was for fear of causing a leak in the seam.

James

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping your luck was better than mine! :rotflmao

Believe me I seriously thought about bending those seams to get it to clear, only reason I didn't was for fear of causing a leak in the seam.

James

My luck isn't usually better than anyone but I appreciate the optimism hahaha.

I needed another drill bit so I went to lunch, then went to Lowe's for the drill bit and some stuff to build the wife a small shelving unit. Got back home and realized I somehow managed to bring the wrong boards home (after checking a few times) so I had to drive 20min away to swap them out....

I was supposed to be back on this project by 2 and it's 4:30......

It is what it is I guess hahaha.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do remember the new longer Bolts were too short and had to run to the HDW Store. Think I used some washers with the new pipe spacers.

Same here, bolts were too short

Like everything else I do on this project I have a plan to unnecessarily overcomplicate the mounting system for the taller tank. I'll share that when I get it done LOL

As promised here's my unnecessary overcomplication.

I didn't want to use the spacers and extra long bolts. I'm sure they're fine but I was able to find a way to play with my tools and do something unique.

5/8 hex bar stock drilled and form tapped to 3/8-16. Roughly 5.5" long up front and 6" long on the back. Should be every bit as strong as the spacers and bolts once she's all tightened up. I'm pretty sure the stock bolts were M10 anyway. It's just mocked up loose right now, I'm going to cut some stall mat to go between the skid plate and fuel tank. Now that I know they're approximately the right size I'll clean and paint them and hopefully final bolt the tank in tomorrow.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****, Maybe throw on some lock tite on the threads.
I don`t have the Skit Plate on my 86, just the 2 Straps.
Yeah you want some type of rubber between the two.
Stall Mat is some tuff stuff, maybe 3/4" thick. Maybe
there is different thicknesses of it.

Years ago maybe in the 90`s first discovered it, and bought
a mat and cut to fit my 82 Datsun 720 KC. Some heavy stuff
weighs more than I do and flops around pickin it up and
moving it. Like trying to wrastle a fat girl.

Kept all the pieces I cut off, and cut some pads out of it to
mount my new 60 Gal Compressor to the concrete floor.
W/O rubber between the feet and concrete, the legs will
eventually crack at the welds from the vibration.

You will love having that new 38 gal tank.

Note: S E X Y is a dirty word?

Goat

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe throw on some lock tite on the threads

I plan to distort a thread with a punch on each and then use loctite as well. Definitely don't want this thing deciding to take a vacation!

Stall Mat is some tuff stuff, maybe 3/4" thick

Yessir. Plan was to put "drainage" side up so the salt won't be sitting against the tank and I can just wash it out but I'm not sure because that side appears somewhat porous and I don't know if that'd make things worse instead...

Note: S E X Y is a dirty word?

What isn't a dirty word anymore...... Waiting for them to Censor "hard work" LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut the stall mat to 24x32 which is roughly what I measured the tank bottom to be.

The tank has a little bump out on the bottom, probably to act as a sump? I trimmed the center out of the stall mat to clear that. The bump out isn't centered so I just took the smallest measurements and cut the whole a little large. The stall mat is pretty tough and I didn't want uneven pressure because of the little bump out.

Pictured are the painted spacers as well.

I took a punch and a 3lb hammer to approximately the third thread down inside each spacer. One solid but not super aggressive hit per hole. That will distort just enough to create some mechanical locking and still leave a few threads to get everything started.

Tank is "temporarily permanent" now. I'm was going to do something different so I only had 4 flange bolts and I'd rather have everything matching so I'm going to wait to tighten everything up until I can get 4 more. They will get blue thread locker and anything that gets tight before bottoming out will get a couple washers. I want it to be nice and snug against the rubber but I also want the majority of the force to be against the spacers and not just the bolt. Wouldn't matter for compressive force but I'd imagine 30+gal of fuel sloshing around will be putting some side force on everything and having everything tight against the spacers will stop the bolts from moving around in the threads are eventually wearing them out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crzyede

Members online