Talk me out of it, please

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's quite the juggling act.
I'm rural, and most projects were 70-120 miles away, so I picked up a ultralight 24' camper and just found RV sites close by.
Was a second home, actually spent more time in the camper than home.
What you are doing is not easy, and takes a LOT of in depth system knowledge and maintenance to keep everything reliable.
Did swap out the WH to dual power, when hooked up to a site and both gas and electric enabled, it recovers instantly.
Didn't want a insti-hot because sometimes I only had 20 minutes to drop, set, and shower before the day started, and after driving half the night wanted a hot shower without waiting.

Yeah I have previously entertained the idea of a winter use trailer. Also thought about the idea of a very small camper trailer to drag around full time, but I don't like that idea too much. I'd rather drag the bug around and have something else to drive.

Also considering a 7x9 canvas tent with 6' 3" center height for around $500 with tax. It's 66lbs total but about 1/4 of that is just the poles and stakes.

I bought a 10x14 one last winter but it's 96lbs and much larger packed up. Too big and heavy, just for me and Lucy.

Here is the 7x9. The $475 one has extra windows on the white sides.

You must be registered for see images attach

I got the lower priced 10x14 and it's lacking in ventilation for changing winds, so I think I'd get the one with the extra windows in 7x9.

Basically something I can have for an "out building" where I can stay if I don't want to be in the dark van all day, even if it's raining.

That's what I wanted to use the 10x14 for, but it's just too much to unpack and pack every two weeks or so, all summer long.

It's in the cargo trailer right now, and will be set up again this winter while I'm insulating and building the van inside better. I'll be flat out living in it for a week or two, depending how long it takes, depending on the weather.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I wanted to use the 10x14 for, but it's just too much to unpack and pack every two weeks or so, all summer long.
I'm far too spoiled anymore. It took a lot of room to pack and then set up all the little things separately, propane bucket shower, portapotty, cot, airbag, TV, lighting, table, etc, and then the added electronics, signal amplifier, jailbroke streamer, merlin air card, an AC was absurd.
But then, was obviously not as mobile, and remote spots required the generator at least a few hours everyday to charge everything, and at least twice monthly water fill and dump.
There's definitely a freedom in your style that can't be duplicated in RV life.
Almost bought a big diesel pusher to live in, but got my home instead.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm far too spoiled anymore. It took a lot of room to pack and then set up all the little things separately, propane bucket shower, portapotty, cot, airbag, TV, lighting, table, etc, and then the added electronics, signal amplifier, jailbroke streamer, merlin air card, an AC was absurd.
But then, was obviously not as mobile, and remote spots required the generator at least a few hours everyday to charge everything, and at least twice monthly water fill and dump.
A table and chair is just about all that would go in a tent. Camp stove maybe, if it's cool enough temperatures, or raining. I'm not fond of setting up a big camp but eh if it's for two weeks? That's not as bad.

I almost never needed a generator for the RV (except for A/C) after I went to an mppt solar controller and lithium batteries.

I was able to go 14-16 days for water in the RV, including the extra 25 gallons in jugs too.

I can go about 8 days in this van, IF I use commode bags for #2. Saves filling up the 5 gallon porta ***** camp toilet. I keep those bags on hand and use them actually, just keeping them outside in a Walmart bag. It goes on the bug roof rack for hauling to a dumpster later, along with dog poop bags and trash in general.

This national forest has a 16 day limit. I stayed 8 nights, went 17 miles to the RV park (and grocery store because I was out of some stuff) and paid $34 for one night. Got a good shower, did a load of laundry, dumped and filled, and came back to the same spot for another 8 nights. Tonight is #6 after returning. On Sunday, I'm going back to the RV park again for 1 night, then I'll be going further away (30 more miles) to another area of the national forest for at least 8 nights, maybe 10 if I can hold out that long.

If you wanna talk cramped, the truck camper was cramped. Image only having an 8ft pickup bed for your space. The mattress was less wide than a twin. That thing was very claustrophobic. I lived in that all of 2017 and it got miserable in winter. I got a crappy trailer around new years 2018. I hated it and the NA f250 was underpowered, so I sold the trailer and redid the truck camper, which is what is shown below. But after 4-5 months, again it was too cramped, and I got the motorhome in January 2019. Kept it almost 5 years but was sick of the single digit mpg.

I didn't want to go back to the truck camper. Hence getting the van.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know who among us is gonna talk you out of that conversion bus...I like it!

If it had been available last year, I'd have definitely gone for it.

But now? Nah. I don't feel THAT cramped in the van. Not like I was in the truck camper, so many years ago.

It is a good deal for someone who's more capable of fetching it.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at it this way. You'll be laying there in the rack, looking at those mismatched lines on the bead board, tossing and turning. Weeks, possibly months of sleepless nights wondering what other things could the previous owner have done half ***** that aren't so obvious. You'll be a physical and emotional train wreck in no time. You've gone this far in talking yourself out of it, cut it loose and move on. You'll be a happier man for it. You got this. :Thumbs Up

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You've gone this far in talking yourself out of it, cut it loose and move on. You'll be a happier man for it. You got this. :Thumbs Up

Yeah, I have. I'm thinking ahead to this winter, doing a better build in this van. Getting rid of the carpet, putting vinyl flooring, insulating, building shelves along side the bed, etc.

It'll all be half-assed too though because I'm not a good carpenter

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll all be half-assed too though because I'm not a good carpenter
That's me, I'm more of a wood butcher. My cousin used to call it being a cobenter and not carpenter. Not to say I'm any better at metal work, but I enjoy it more.