Talk me out of it, please

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I just got this van 10 months ago, and NOW this comes up for sale 100 miles from where I am right now and very close to where I was last year.

It's a 1990 E350 7.3 IDI NA SRW (nope not dually) Collins short bus, with E4OD, based on what looks like the OD button on the dashboard (other grainy pic not shown here).

Already insulated and partly built up.

But not starting right now, so it's pretty cheap. Seller said to me about what they think might be wrong:

I’m not sure, we’ve checked the battery, starter, and fuel levels and none of those seemed to be the issue

How much you wanna bet it's return lines/caps?

The big problem is, how would I get it? Even if i get it started and drive it away from where it sits, then what? Logistics suck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Nope. I won’t try to “talk you out of it”.

Rent a trailer, hire a truck or buy the AAA “RV” plan for a year.

But, where would it be taken to? The "nearby" (100 mile away) RV park? Towing would probably be $500.

I can't pull the bus with this van. Brakes are already in need of some attention, and the hitch is only rated 6000lbs.

I have mid range AAA auto for the bug and had to use it back around new years, from a gas station pumping pure water. AAA can and will blacklist you for using them too much if they're losing too much money, because profit is their scheme really, not being a service.

RV park owner would probably let me pay ~$50/mo parking storage for a few months, but then what? I'd have two IDIs and a bug in Utah, and I'd be paying rent/storage.

I don't have someone with me to drive a second vehicle. One would have to stay behind.

I'd prefer to have turbo, meaning I'd have to swap the turbo kit from the van to the bus, at some point.

It's about 3 months before it's cool enough to go to Southern Arizona for the winter..I'd have to pay a few months storage on the bus, and try to come back in the slow ****, underpowered bug, up the mountains from Arizona to Utah.

Seller did say it has a trailer hitch on the bus, I couldn't see from their photos. So, it would be able to drag the bug back.

And what if it's not something easy and cheap to fix? Then what?

If I had some else to drive a second vehicle for me, it wouldn't be so much of a problem.

I wonder what mpg the bus would get too. Probably 11mpg? The RV with the C6 got roughly 8.5mpg. This van gets about 13.5 fully loaded and pulling the bug. The bus is srw, so less rolling resistance and less heavy, but still a brick up front above the cab.

At that point, I should have just put the Gear Vendors kit (which I have still, stored in my mom's house) on the C6 RV and gotten 10-10.5mpg.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If your long term strategy is to remain living on the road I would prefer the bus platform

It cost me about $1000-1200 in logistics to get the RV/bug and van to Arkansas 10 months ago. I was here in Utah, van was in Colorado. And it was pretty pain-free due to van running and seller helping by dropping off the van at the airport, as I was landing.

I was able to leave my dog with my mom while I was away fetching the van.

It's only about 530 miles (one way) from here to Yuma (near where I spend the winter) so fuel cost back and forth wouldn't be as bad, but it's questionable trying to drive the bug 500 miles, up mountains with a 40hp with big tires. I'd probably be taking dirt roads when possible.. because it's that slow. It takes me roughly 2 days normally to make the drive one way. It would probably be 4 in the bug. I'd probably have to pay motels along the way, because i can't sleep in the bug, it has rigid suspension seats that don't recline.

One way rental car for 3 days is about $700, and I'd be about 70 miles from the bus when I return the rental car in the nearest city. So that's not practical.

So basically I'd be in the same position I was last year, but worse. Because I can't fly back easily to fetch it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I'm also concerned about insurance. Companies like Allstate and State Farm have stopping writing new policies for private use, commercial vehicle conversions (such as skoolies).

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
So, you’ve talked yourself out of it?
Better you than me.

I get it. I go through the same process…somehow ended up with 9 trucks anyway.

I mean I'd like the space, while being less long than the motorhome was, with SRW and e4od, but I just can't easily get it. It's driving me crazy.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Unless I were to just sell the van with turbo on it before I leave Utah, and try to cope with an NA bus. But that would be miserable, considering how often I'm in the mountains out west.

I'd rather keep it van until I'm sure the bus doesn't have a major mechanical flaw somewhere.

It would cost me $40-50 in fuel, just to go look at it. (~200mi round trip).

There's a tow company in the little town with the RV park, I could see what they might charge.

If it'll run for me, by replacing return lines and/or excessive cranking, I could drive the bug with the tow bar strapped to the roof rack, and drag the bug back to the RV park with the bus.

But again, insurance. And two IDIs in Utah. How would I move both down to Arizona around October?

I'd probably be able to sell the van for a good bit down there in winter, turbo or not on it.

Especially if I leave the existing solar panels on it, since people are scared about working with electricity a lot. And/or they're 75 years old and don't want to get on a ladder and all that.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I’d like to be 6’4” 260lbs.

Seller says in the ad it's ~6' 4" inside.

I'm about 5' 10.5" without shoes, so that's fine for me, even with the steel toe work boots I almost always buy.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I guess I need to focus on improving this van with a better build, and insulation. Probably about $300-500.

I hastily threw this together and it's not done in a way that uses space well. So much wasted space.

The lithium house batteries need a box built over the fender well, so they're not wasting space on the floor under the bed.

It needs shelves/cubbies to the side of the bed so i don't have to cram frequently used stuff in boxes, which is annoying for retrieving for use.

Last edited:

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But, where would it be taken to? The "nearby" (100 mile away) RV park? Towing would probably be $500.
Racing motorcycles around the PNW I had a 18' car hauler I converted to a mobile garage with very basic living accommodations.
AAA has a premiere RV plan that will tow both truck and trailer up to 250 miles.
If you do tow both they count as two separate tows, even if done at the same time.
Fortunately I never had to use it, but had the peace of mind knowing everything was covered.
That plan was $175 a year.
It's been a few years, not sure of the current rate.
Sounds like it would still be less than 1/2 the cost.
You can have it towed anywhere you choose as long as you don't have the basic plan.
I used AAA to tow my current project to the repair area I set up that's 16 miles from my home.
I did wash the mold off and trapped the critters, but it still had 2011 tabs.
Just don't take no for an answer.
Had to call back three times before they quit protesting.
Good Sam was better about it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Racing motorcycles around the PNW I had a 18' car hauler I converted to a mobile garage with very basic living accommodations.
AAA has a premiere RV plan that will tow both truck and trailer up to 250 miles.
If you do tow both they count as two separate tows, even if done at the same time.
Fortunately I never had to use it, but had the peace of mind knowing everything was covered.
That plan was $175 a year.
It's been a few years, not sure of the current rate.
Sounds like it would still be less than 1/2 the cost.
You can have it towed anywhere you choose as long as you don't have the basic plan.
I used AAA to tow my current project to the repair area I set up that's 16 miles from my home.
I did wash the mold off and trapped the critters, but it still had 2011 tabs.
Just don't take no for an answer.
Had to call back three times before they quit protesting.
Good Sam was better about it.

My mid range auto one is $93/yr and is about to renew this month. I got a 25 mile tow for the bug during the first year. I get 4x per year, up to 100mi each.

i still keep roadside on insurance too as extra since it's not much money, since it's unlimited to nearest shop.

i used RV insurance roadside on the motorhome for a tire change on i25 in CO shortly before i sold it, since my AAA isn't for RVs.

The van I have now qualifies as auto i suspect, despite being home converted. I don't have RV insurance on it right now. I should ask my state farm agent if it could be, since it's usually cheaper.

I used auto roadside on the f250 when it's starter broke once. and used lockout on it too that same year, before i hid a door key in a magnetic box.

I pretty much got AAA just for the bug since the "nearest repair shop" isn't gonna work on a 60 year old air cooled VW. At least i can choose where it goes this way, if needed. Preferably I won't be more than 100 miles away from the van at any time, so i can have it dropped at or near the van and it gets towed with the van, so it works well.

Also, I'm currently slowly saving up money to buy a bigger motor for the bug next year, so that it's more highway capable. Then I can actually get out and do more, and not risk losing my dispersed camping spot in forests, due to leaving in the van. I could leave the bug, but it's far more likely to get stolen than a big van. Especially since the tow bar would be laying around at camp too. Yeah I could pitch a $50 tent to hold the spot, but then I have to haul a tent around in my limited room van.

I like having an extra vehicle on hand, is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like having an extra vehicle on hand, is what I'm saying.
That's quite the juggling act.
I'm rural, and most projects were 70-120 miles away, so I picked up a ultralight 24' camper and just found RV sites close by.
Was a second home, actually spent more time in the camper than home.
What you are doing is not easy, and takes a LOT of in depth system knowledge and maintenance to keep everything reliable.
Did swap out the WH to dual power, when hooked up to a site and both gas and electric enabled, it recovers instantly.
Didn't want a insti-hot because sometimes I only had 20 minutes to drop, set, and shower before the day started, and after driving half the night wanted a hot shower without waiting.