Stripped Bolt on C6

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the C6 ready to install after rebuilding it, only had the output shaft housing and oil pan to go when one of the six output housing bolts stripped.
You must be registered for see images attach

It is the bottom left, behind the transmission mount.
Used all new grade 8 bolts, all the others torqued to spec.
I don't think there's any real force applied during use, the governor is on the transmission, the output housing has a press bearing and a seal.
I believe the carrier bearing between driveshaft's handles the end torque after the transmission.
I'm inclined to just pull it out, chase the threads, and red locktite back in place, as compared to a helicoil install.
Wondering what you would do.
It's going into a '90 U Haul box truck 7.3 I'm going to sell as a motor home DIY project.
I really only want to see it drive away and never come back.
Thanks

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If threads pull when torqued, the threads were pulled.

I would pull the bolt, drill it and heli coil it. Don't necessarily need to put lock tite in there, I wouldn't, but you can.

After repair, send it. It'll be fine.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if you can feel around in the bottom the hole. Sometimes the holes are a little deeper than the bolt with a couple of threads left at the bottom. If you have room you can try a longer bolt and see if it catches those threads. If it does, you may need to cut a longer bolt just the right length, and or use a couple of washers to adjust it's length. You would be surprised what just a couple of threads will do, just go easy on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online