Strange coolant leak

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, I have a NAPA Spectra Radiator. So it's got top and bottom plastic tanks and a rubber(?) seal between that and the 3-core aluminum bit.

I've been DD'ing my IDI for a week now, and today after work(I drive class B), I see a big wet spot under the radiator. Parked on gravel, so no good way to tell how much has leaked.
It's actively dripping every 3-5 seconds, the wet spot is about 10" across. I pull the radiator cap and it speeds up a lot, 3 drips per second. I put that back on. 7psi Stant rad cap, FYI.

I couldn't find any wetness in the usual suspects: filler cap and both hoses were dry to the touch. No puddles on the top seam, can't see the bottom seam as it's covered in the core support, but that's my guess.
Overflow bottle empty(not a big surprise as it has a small leak somewhere besides this) but the level in the radiator is right to the tippy-top. *Whew!*

So I fire her up, and by the time I park the work truck and pull outside the lot, close the fence, it's barely dripping. Take the first exit after entering the freeway and it's not dripping that I can find. Drove home just fine, no drips at home.

So I'm thinking it's a rubber seal giving up a little when cold, but then when it's hot everything swells and she's good to go again? Anyone else have a better idea or similar experience? If that's the problem then I can live with that for a bit, need the truck for a while as my friend is down a car and driving my commuter.

Thank you!
Joshua

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It could be the hose clamp for the lower hose too. As they heat cycle hoses should be retorqued when they're replaced

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water pump seep hole says what?
I think the drip would come off the block/oil pan if the water pump was weeping, wouldn't it? I'll still check it out and thanks for the idea!
It could be the hose clamp for the lower hose too. As they heat cycle hoses should be retorqued when they're replaced
I checked that one, bone dry. I put a screwdriver on it and it was tight as well.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well if if its leaking from the radiator area and its not the hoses... Radiator time. If I remember right they have lifetime warranties on their radiators.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they do. This will be Spectra radiator #3, hopefully they honor it. Every time I've gone in they act like Spectra has never had a failure before... actually it may be #4. Gah, me and my goldfish memory!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sigh. New rad won't ship in till Monday or Tuesday. Guess I have time to install that FlowKooler water pump that's been sitting on the bench. Turns out this will be rad #5 of just the Spectra variety. I have receipts!
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
After the gm rad died in my 91 square body v series, I replaced the plastic tank garbage at like 14 months each.
Till I had the oem brass n copper one redone...
Ymmv

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an aluminum Radiator with the plastic tanks.
Looked new when we bought the truck back in July 14.
Has....(so far) never given me a problem.
Bought it with 192K, now up to 351K.
Don`t have a clue who made it.

Mercedes Benz has used the Behr Radiators with the plastic
tanks for a long time.
I have had these since 97, and never ha a problem with one.
The MB`s are unibody, and the Fords may have more
flex/twist motion in the Frames? IDK.

Goat

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The odd thing is all those rads were in the same year, yikes. Then I got 5 years out of the last one. I'll try again, see how this one holds. I do like the Final Charge coolant and a coolant filter. Stays clean!

Is this t-stat fully open? Only about 1/4" under full boil:

Yes I know the pot is dirty, was gonna clean it after spaghetti dinner, but needed to boil my stat... 2 birds one stone!

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOOK AT ALL THE ROOM TO WORK ON THE ENGINE WITHOUT THAT DUMB RADIATOR IN THE WAY!!! :rotflmao

But the FlowKooler is installed now. And seriously could they have made the A/C and power steering brackets any more convoluted?!? It literally doubles the time it takes to remove and install the water pump just to goof around with all that crap. Sheesh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLIMPICKENS73

Members online