So what did you do with your truck today?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's too clean to be real! You're Photoshoping it or using some type of "clean up my ole' truck filter" on your phone.
I gotta agree, here...that truck is too nice-looking to be real....

I'll bet that someone has enlisted some kind of subversive AI app to construct an artists rendition of a darn-near perfect truck...

Eff'n commies...making the rest of us look bad....here I am...with 'Ol One-Ton...that is sporting a 'Heidelburg Dueling Scar'...(passenger door scraped by a 'dozer blade)...and this guy showing off his all-american USA truck making the rest of us jealous...

It can't be real...

I have not had any coffee yet. this morning...did I just blab...like my fingers were in motion before my mind was in gear..??

It was a long day, yesterday...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta agree, here...that truck is too nice-looking to be real....

I'll bet that someone has enlisted some kind of subversive AI app to construct an artists rendition of a darn-near perfect truck...

Eff'n commies...making the rest of us look bad....here I am...with 'Ol One-Ton...that is sporting a 'Heidelburg Dueling Scar'...(passenger door scraped by a 'dozer blade)...and this guy showing off his all-american USA truck making the rest of us jealous...

It can't be real...

I have not had any coffee yet. this morning...did I just blab...like my fingers were in motion before my mind was in gear..??

It was a long day, yesterday...
My truck's butt may be augmented, but it ain't airbrushed!

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the truck needs to be the daily driver. Tonight I'm trying to sort out vacuum and confirm if it's time to go to r134a or if my r12 is still kicking butt. But first have to get actuators to actuate

I’m talking above my pay grade here. But might wanna consider HFC-152a vs a R134a conversion.

FFW this video to 20:30 seconds and he goes through it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He finds it works well (5-15% better) vs the 134a in old R12 designed systems.

He also mentions early in that video, if you feel a temperature difference between the line from the evaporator to the accumulator/dryer and the line returning to the compressor, something is wrong. (Over or under charged). Those 3 pieces should all be ice cold.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fighting the good fight against cabin (global) warming....

I feel...vicariously vindicated viciously victimizing vociferousity...

cupholders...

Now that we got that outta the way...Happy Monday Y'all...

Speaking of the good fight...Last week I finally got the chance to use 'Ol One-Ton to help someone out...actually it's first service call while I have had it.

Other than using it for my own purposes...I actually went somewhere with my truck and fixed something for someone else...

I felt good...charged even...I had the old, 'sense-of-purpose' feeling while I was engaged in the activity...and actually using my truck for something other than building a house...

It started last year when an older gentleman called me and said that they needed to get their truck running and moved...

It is a 1965 Ford two-ton dump truck that he had used when he had a roofing business...grand old thing...was powered by an FE gas engine and four-speed.

I had seen the truck before...so I did not ask what it was...I just needed to know how long it had been sitting...

'Two to three years'...came the reply...I told him to see if the battery will take a charge first...and then call me...

Secretly...I knew that it was a good chance that the gas had soured in the tank...but...first things first...

Fast forward one year...I get a voicemail that had a lot of stress in it...on a Friday afternoon...that he needed to move the thing by Monday morning...

I sprang into action...the message was already three hours old...I uncoupled my truck from everything attaching it to the jobsite..extension cords, air lines, radio and makeshift antenna, nuts, bolts, screws, washers, a can of welding rod stubs, buckets, scrap metal, tools, etc.,etc....you would not believe what can pile up around your truck when it becomes a stationary work site...

Finally I cranked her up after checking the oil and charging system and headed down the driveway...I took note of how many miles was on the odometer as I chugged down the road...

I called the guy and said I was on the way...

Thirty miles later I am there...and the field...I am not ******** you...the grass was waist high...I groaned to myself and just 'knew' that The Girl was going to have to inspect me for ticks, later...

Tick, chiggers, maybe snakes...(Both kinds...)...Oh, well...here goes...

So...He didn't say much about the grass...and he rolled up with a battery in a loader bucket and was surprised that I was there after only one voicemail...membership has it's privileges...

I opened the hood and took off the air cleaner...Autolite two-barrel...cool, simple...I put gas in it with a can and a hose while he goes to put his battery in under the passenger floorboard...he borrows a socket while I take the fuel line off the mechanical fuel pump...I drain it into a pan...and it comes out stinky and yellow....

Oh, boy...well..gotta deal with it...

The rubber hose has been taken off before...and it was too short to go back on...and the fuel ran out pretty fast...so I cinched it off with some vise grips and looked through my stuff for another hose...

Found one...but it was going to be a struggle to get it up on the barb...I find that the hose clamps are ok...but judging by how fast the gas came out...the tank was close to full...

But...once the initial burst of yellow gas came out...it started running white...so...there was a chance that the gas was going to be ok...

I crawl underneath with all of the high grass and pull the old line off and while I am forcing the hose on the barb I get soaked...I mean really drenched with gasoline...my t-shirt was soaked...(feel the burn)...

I get it back together and it RUNS...runs and then idles...

Good, old truck...

We let it run for awhile and then he says that the real test is if it will shut off and then re-start...it did...no problem...

I pack up...put everything away...and get ready to leave...he asked me about payment...I refused...I figured that it will come back to me, somehow...and I saved the guy from agonizing all weekend about moving the truck...

Sometimes...peace of mind is priceless....

I head back, full of ticks, chiggers, and reeking of gasoline...but I am satisfied...'Ol One-Ton's first service call with me at the helm...

What a team...

Last edited:

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Ol’ One Ton have A/C or was it never equipped?
Uhm… good for you LOL :dunno
cupholders…
Indeed
And to you as well
Speaking of the good fight...Last week I finally got the chance to use 'Ol One-Ton to help someone out...actually it's first service call while I have had it.
Glad to hear it! That’s always kinda fun. I’ve gotten to do it a couple of times now, last weekend on a 605J Vermeer round baler, the guy bought it non operational and it needed a new drive chain, and the PTO gearbox seals replaced. Took most the morning, took my 91 F-Super Duty service truck
Other than using it for my own purposes...I actually went somewhere with my truck and fixed something for someone else...
:Thumbs Up
I felt good...charged even...I had the old, 'sense-of-purpose' feeling while I was engaged in the activity...and actually using my truck for something other than building a house...

It started last year when an older gentleman called me and said that they needed to get their truck running and moved...

It is a 1965 Ford two-ton dump truck that he had used when he had a roofing business...grand old thing...was powered by an FE gas engine and four-speed.

I had seen the truck before...so I did not ask what it was...I just needed to know how long it had been sitting...

'Two to three years'...came the reply...I told him to see if the battery will take a charge first...and then call me...

Secretly...I knew that it was a good chance that the gas had soured in the tank...but...first things first...

Fast forward one year...I get a voicemail that had a lot of stress in it...on a Friday afternoon...that he needed to move the thing by Monday morning...

I sprang into action...the message was already three hours old...I uncoupled my truck from everything attaching it to the jobsite..extension cords, air lines, radio and makeshift antenna, nuts, bolts, screws, washers, a can of welding rod stubs, buckets, scrap metal, tools, etc.,etc....you would not believe what can pile up around your truck when it becomes a stationary work site...

Finally I cranked her up after checking the oil and charging system and headed down the driveway...I took note of how many miles was on the odometer as I chugged down the road...

Thirty miles later I am there...and the field...I am not ******** you...the grass was waist high...I groaned to myself and just 'knew' that The Girl was going to have to inspect me for ticks, later...

So...He didn't say much about the grass...and he rolled up with a battery in a loader bucket and was surprised that I was there after only one voicemail...membership has it's privileges...

I opened the hood and took off the air cleaner...Autolite two-barrel...cool, simple...I put gas in it with a can and a hose while he goes to put his battery in under the passenger floorboard...he borrows a socket while I take the fuel line off the mechanical fuel pump...I drain it into a pan...and it comes out stinky and yellow....
My 63 was a four barrel, 292 Y-block. Very finicky…

The 330 in my 65 was a two barrel, much simpler yes

The rubber hose has been taken off before...and it was too short to go back on...and the fuel ran out pretty fast...so I cinched it off with some vise grips and looked through my stuff for another hose...

Found one...but it was going to be a struggle to get it up on the barb...I find that the hose clamps are ok...but judging by how fast the gas came out...the tank was close to full...

But...once the initial burst of yellow gas came out...it started running white...so...there was a chance that the gas was going to be ok...

I crawl underneath with all of the high grass and pull the old line off and while I am forcing the hose on the barb I get soaked...I mean really drenched with gasoline...my t-shirt was soaked...(feel the burn)...

Good, old truck...

We let it run for awhile and then he says that the real test is if it will shut off and then re-start...it did...no problem...

I pack up...put everything away...and get ready to leave...he asked me about payment...I refused...I figured that it will come back to me, somehow...and I saved the guy from agonizing all weekend about moving the truck...

Was it an F-Series or an N-Series?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Failed injector on the passenger side front cylinder, turbo mount is cracked, and rear main cover is leaking, but just barely.

Drivers side rearmost intake valve doesn’t seem as tight as the others… has a tiny bit of wiggle with the rocker off, the rocker for that valve has a bit more play than the others.

It never seems to end… ever…

Still runs/ran great, just a bad noise from the injector. October 2023 Russ injectors, 2100 psi

Not entirely necessary to pull the engine out, but took less than 3 hours. Having done so will make everything much easier to work on…

Did this yesterday.

Shop is very very messy…

And the paint on the motor looks terrible now… painting is not my forte…

I should just send a complete engine to Justin Anderson at R&D, and have him do it right. I’ve got a couple spare engines…

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Any idea what caused your injector to fail? And what was failed about it?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea what caused your injector to fail? And what was failed about it?
Every shim in the injector was in at least a dozen pieces, and completely full of soot.

No idea why though…

When I pulled it, it came out without much difficulty but the entire bottom half fell off, luckily not right away, all the pieces fell out on the back bumper of my service truck. Super weird…

Looks like the soot was getting in through the tip, the copper washer was still there. All other injectors looked perfect.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

cupholders...

Good, old truck...

I head back, full of ticks, chiggers, and reeking of gasoline...but I am satisfied...'Ol One-Ton's first service call with me at the helm...

What a team...
That was a great story! Like the stuff of James Patterson, exciting and to the point, it was almost like I was there. Of course, without the venomous vipers and voracious vermin vacillating in the vermiculite while being doused with vehicular vittles. I'm ready for the next chapter. Do it again.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I head back, full of ticks, chiggers, and reeking of gasoline..
All that gasoline and you were still covered with ticks and chiggars?
292 Y-block.
Some of those dame with an optional centrifugal supercharger in the Thunderbirds in the late 50's. Boy I sure would like to look at one of those!
Every shim in the injector was in at least a dozen pieces, and completely full of soot.

No idea why though…

When I pulled it, it came out without much difficulty but the entire bottom half fell off, luckily not right away, all the pieces fell out on the back bumper of my service truck. Super weird…

Looks like the soot was getting in through the tip, the copper washer was still there. All other injectors looked perfect.
I seem to remember someone saying that he had someone else building pumps for him for a while and had quality issues. I wonder if the injectors are the same way?

DougBoy66

Reaction score
Between yesterday and today I cleaned and installed the piston oil jets, the main bearings and the crank shaft

Attachments

• 20240609_181300.jpg
    20240609_181300.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240610_191858.jpg
    20240610_191858.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240610_180654.jpg
    20240610_180654.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240610_174501.jpg
    20240610_174501.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 8

DougBoy66

Reaction score
It looks like it could have some life in it after all. It feels smooth. Time will tell. That's all for tonight from me other than this, it was all I could do to accept that the piston oil jet bolt torque to only 7 ft/pounds. I had to go buy a new torque wrench to go that low and resist the urge to go way tighter . I did put the orange lock tite on the bolt for my peace of mind.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of those came with an optional centrifugal supercharger in the Thunderbirds in the late 50's. Boy I sure would like to look at one of those!
That does sound cool. Never heard of it though. But mine was a truck so makes sense
I seem to remember someone saying that he had someone else building pumps for him for a while and had quality issues. I wonder if the injectors are the same way?
I thought that was R&D? Maybe not though…

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was a great story! Like the stuff of James Patterson, exciting and to the point, it was almost like I was there. Of course, without the venomous vipers and voracious vermin vacillating in the vermiculite while being doused with vehicular vittles. I'm ready for the next chapter. Do it again.

HAHAHA...that is pretty doggone good, too..!!! You did what I was trying to do without being jacked up on some good coffee...

I was also suffering the backlash of an all-day and-most-of-the-night excursion from the day before...

I also don't have my writers little helpers handy at the moment...(dictionary, thesaurus, and any other reference material) because most of my books are packed away from the move...

That was some excellent word-smithing...gotta hand it to you...

I had to read it a few times to get the full effect...

Good job.