Replacing suspension

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Check Amazon and rockauto too.

I didn't notice any improvement going from rancho 5000's to bilsteins. Ymmv.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok cool thanks! At the moment it's just riding with some rusty super old maybe not even functioning shocks so anything will be better.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The bilstein 5100 will be much firmer than an oe type shock. The 4600 will have similar or better ride than stock and will last.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put new stock leaf's, track bar bushings and yellow Bilstein's on this D60, grease zerk in rear spring bolt, had to cut OG bolts out to replace, never again!

Attachments

• IMG_5480 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5480 - Copy.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5482.JPG
    IMG_5482.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5484.JPG
    IMG_5484.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5481 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5481 - Copy.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 10

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timbrens also, may have to extend them tho, think they should touch stop or almost touch.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put new stock leaf's, track bar bushings and yellow Bilstein's on this D60, grease zerk in rear spring bolt, had to cut OG bolts out to replace, never again!
Are your rear shocks these 4600? You had to cut the bolts to replace because they were stuck from age or because of a fitment issue?

The bilstein 5100 will be much firmer than an oe type shock. The 4600 will have similar or better ride than stock and will last.

Noted. I found that rockauto had 4600 and said they fit, seems more trustworthy than 4wheelparts anyways.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to cut bolt's on front spring rear mount, pics are of a leaf spring front end with Dana 60 axle, shocks bolt right up, not rear. Try tire rack also for Bilsteins, they have good prices on them last I knew.
This is the proper way, Bilstein use the labels for orientation, Bilsteins for my VW have the stem on the top, it varies with application, boots on these have drain holes at bottom, otherwise shock doesn't know which way is up! as long as it has same mounts at each end.
Noticed my shackle photo was the front, put grease zerks in those also!

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on leaving the leafs in and just doing shocks. No springs on my truck so should be easy...

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up going with the Bilstein 4600 shocks purchased from Rock Auto. Probably regardless of what shock you end up with I came up with a good technique for installing them that I didn't see or read anywhere else. I installed the bottom bolt first then used a ratchet strap to compress the shock then get it over the top bolt. See photo:

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nighthawk14