Question on disassembling injectors

Poorman

Reaction score
I sent my injectors out to get a 2nd opinion on the way they were popping, the injection shop agreed that they needed help, they thought they just needed a cleaning because they acted like they were just gummed up from setting a lot. They've had them almost two weeks and now say it will be the week after the 4th before they can get to them. I can't wait, I need my truck. So I asked them to just send them back and I would attempt it myself. They were ok with my request but had plenty of warnings about how difficult it is. The only thing that concerned me was they're saying that they use a special clamp to hold the injector while unscrewing it to keep from spinning the spacer that carries the locator pins and screwing up the body. I can't find anything on the net about this, nothing, but I find plenty of pretty crude looking backyard mechanics taking these apart, really doesn't look like brain surgery to my. I've got a pop tester and by the end of day I'll have ultrasonic cleaner. They didn't seem to want to help with some shims so I think I'll pick up some shim stock and make some if needed. Any thoughts???

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They come apart just fine with a couple wrenches or a vise. The only time I've seen that spacer with the pins break was on an injector that was already destroyed anyway.

That being said I've only had about 12 of them apart so maybe I just got lucky?

chickenpot

Reaction score
the threads will start turning before you get close to shearing anything. your plan is solid. do not mix and match parts between the different injectors. shop is trying to mess with you or they have no idea what theyre doing

Poorman

Reaction score
chickenpot, They're actually a very creditable shop, and definitely know what they're doing, I wouldn't say they're messing with me either. They may have been a little offended when I asked for them back but I just ran out of time. I just wish they could have been a little more helpful given my time crunch and the fact that they'd had them for 12 days and it would be another week a least before the could do them. Here's a very good video showing the vise/holder I was referring to.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ihc1470

Reaction score
Years ago when I rebuilt nozzles I would throw them in carb cleaner and let them soak for half a day or so. It helps loosen up the carbon under the nut and less chance of shearing the pins that way.

chickenpot

Reaction score
chickenpot, They're actually a very creditable shop, and definitely know what they're doing, I wouldn't say they're messing with me either. They may have been a little offended when I asked for them back but I just ran out of time. I just wish they could have been a little more helpful given my time crunch and the fact that they'd had them for 12 days and it would be another week a least before the could do them. Here's a very good video showing the vise/holder I was referring to.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
either way, these injectors are pretty tough and not very complicated. esp if they're the oem stanadynes.. need a 12pt wrench for those. otherwise completely suited for a competent guy with a vise and a clean table, ultrasonic is a plus. blow out thoroughly with air after cleaning and dip them in diesel right away. do not touch the nozzle body, alignment spacer or injector body mating surfaces with your bare fingers, and always wet with diesel. pop pressures can be adjusted on the basis of around ~50psi for every 1-2 thou shims. that can save some time matching and playing the reassembly dance. when you cant find shims, just get some for a cummins 12v. pop "pattern" on the idi injectors is more of a fine cone and shoots straight out. you can try to spin/lap the pintle in it's seat lightly with a drill if you have a leaker, if you're intent on saving your old nozzles

Poorman

Reaction score
Thanks chickenpot, you're building my confidence. Were you able to view the video? I'd be curious of what you thought of their clamp. They didn't come today so should get them back for sure tomorrow, I'm the last guy on the u.p.s route so I hope to have time to disassemble and soak overnight then ultrasonic and pop test the next day. I'll post how it goes.

chickenpot

Reaction score
Thanks chickenpot, you're building my confidence. Were you able to view the video? I'd be curious of what you thought of their clamp. They didn't come today so should get them back for sure tomorrow, I'm the last guy on the u.p.s route so I hope to have time to disassemble and soak overnight then ultrasonic and pop test the next day. I'll post how it goes.
Pop test them before disassembly and write down the pressures beforehand, so you have a baseline when youre rebuilding. this will also tell you if you have any leakers before and the condition of the nozzles

I did see the video, their clamp looks interesting and expensive. i e taken apart quite a few of these injectors vertically in a vise and that's been fine

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
I've taken apart so many sets of these injectors and never sheared a pin. I can't say anything as far as the injectors in the video, as they aren't for our 6.9/7.3 diesels. But I use a vice and a 12 point wrench to take mine apart. I Ultrasonic clean them individually so as to not mix match springs, shims, etc. I second what chickenpox said about pop testing them before and after.