Pulled a 1987 out of a hole

Black dawg

Reaction score
The valve is probably fine, but look at the contact marks on it after lapping to be sure.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a valve be white like this?
You must be registered for see images attach

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gas test on the valve ever so slightly looses the gas over the course of 10 minutes or more. It seems the other cylinders are about the same. Is that fine?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea on a diesel. I know on our gas pulling tractor engines running on 110 octane with good carb tuning will give that look in exhaust pipe.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think you wouldn't want to see anything escaping. I have definitely been known to be wrong though.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would think you wouldn't want to see anything escaping.
Yes that's ideal. Captain, if that's all you're seeing, I say to check to make sure that there's not too much valve guide play and run them for a while. Others may say differently, but I feel that you'll be ok for a while longer yet. I'm under the impression that you're thinking about a rebuild on this or another engine in the future so I'd save the money from going farther with the valves right now and put it toward that future rebuild. By the way, you did lap the valves before doing this test, right?

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's ideal. Captain, if that's all you're seeing, I say to check to make sure that there's not too much valve guide play and run them for a while. Others may say differently, but I feel that you'll be ok for a while longer yet. I'm under the impression that you're thinking about a rebuild on this or another engine in the future so I'd save the money from going farther with the valves right now and put it toward that future rebuild. By the way, you did lap the valves before doing this test, right?
No I didn’t lap the valves everything looked so perfect I just did the test. Yes I have no fear of opening the engine again I am just happy to get somewhere around 100k out of it maybe less maybe more I just don’t currently have the capacity to do a full rebuild

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was supposed to be the daily and the PSD was supposed to be the project but this 6.9 blew a headgasket and the PSD transmission went bad so I got the E40D in the PSD rebuilt and I am dailying that but I need to get this IDI back on the road and I don’t have lots of money for machine work so I think I will run it.

This is the biggest engine stand I could come up with on short notice and it seems to be doing fine.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No I didn’t lap the valves everything looked so perfect I just did the test.

I don’t have lots of money for machine work so I think I will run it.
I'll bet that if you lap the valves and do the test again, you won't have any leakage. All you have now is small imperfections on the valves or seats so lapping them should clean that up.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
White deposits like that are normal for a diesel, see it all the time on the heavy duty ones at work, usually it's the addatives.

Oddly enough, red dye diesel doesn't do it... Currently rebuilding a 855 big cam 3 and it has no white deposits, but it goes in a train.

If you had a TON of white deposits, that would be coolant burning off, but you didn't have a coolant loss issue, right? Just low compression because the head gasket decided to take a vacation?

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No coolant or “white cloud” issues just the headgasket left the scene all at once and I stopped driving almost immediately.