Power steering hose

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I read through the other posts that were suggested when I filled in the title for this thread. (Good feature to have!!) Didn't get an answer.

Question, the high pressure line that goes into the power steering pump... Is that supposed to swivel once you tighten the nut down?

Brand new pump. Brand new high pressure line. Both from oreiletys. Everything went ok, removing the old pump and line, then installing the new.

Only... When I was fiddling around trying to put the pulley back on, I just happened to be pushing on the high pressure line with my wrist and noticed that it swivels.

I tightened the nut to within an inch of it's life... And the line still easily swivels.

This doesn't seem right to me. Thought I'd ask about it before I finish the installation.

In trying to remove it, I had tightened it too much, and the valve or whatever it is, came out of the pump with it. What are the odds that something else fell out of the pump, which I just didn't notice because it is down out of my sight?

Like I said, brand new pump, brand new pressure line. If this is not the way it is supposed to be, well, not my fault, and I'll be returning both. (I'll also stand right there in the store and assemble the new line to the new pump, when they come in.)

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It seals via an o ring, it should still swivel when the nut is tight.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traditional linesets dont move on fixed applications.

There now for an informed tiebraker... ;Poke

Fill in yer sig line with the rigs specs so we ca tell what you are doing...
What year?
I'll check my 93 iffn ya like.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hey! Look who's back!:cheers:
I've only had one that didn't swivel on my vehicles. I put it on new and never did like it. I ended up replacing it with another new one a few years later. That one did swivel. It seems to me that they are supposed to swivel. Your engine has vibrations, slight or not. It also moves a little bit on the motor mounts. Why would you not want it to swivel?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is supposed to swivel, the white nylon insert puts tension on it while allowing it to move some to prevent vibration cracking. It works similarly to the fuel line olives.

James

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all.

I've never installed one in any other vehicle, that still swiveled when tight. Just 'feels' like it should be tight.

But after taking it back off an examining it, I wondered if it somehow seals inside the hut and still swivels.

So. I asked. LOL

I think I'll put it back on, and find out.

~~~

When I took the old one off, the nut had been epoxied to the line.

Sure doesn't add anything to the feeling that it might swivel... LOL

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that just sounds plain stupid to me. People like that shouldn't even be allowed to open their hoods.
Worked for them, I'd guess.

I'm not replacing this because of a bad hose, or leak.

The pump blew up and shredded two serpentine belts. One before, and one as it blew up. Technically probably three. The first was a really old, cracked belt.

Only reason I am replacing the hose is because of that epoxy. Worked for them. And for me, for a while. But ultimately cost me a new hose. (Had I known, I would have taken a different approach to removing the hose.)

I might actually get all this back together today. And yes, putting it tofether with the hose swiveling.

I'll let yall know if it leaks.

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I read through the other posts that were suggested when I filled in the title for this thread. (Good feature to have!!) Didn't get an answer.

Question, the high pressure line that goes into the power steering pump... Is that supposed to swivel once you tighten the nut down?

Brand new pump. Brand new high pressure line. Both from oreiletys. Everything went ok, removing the old pump and line, then installing the new.

Only... When I was fiddling around trying to put the pulley back on, I just happened to be pushing on the high pressure line with my wrist and noticed that it swivels.

I tightened the nut to within an inch of it's life... And the line still easily swivels.

This doesn't seem right to me. Thought I'd ask about it before I finish the installation.

In trying to remove it, I had tightened it too much, and the valve or whatever it is, came out of the pump with it. What are the odds that something else fell out of the pump, which I just didn't notice because it is down out of my sight?

Like I said, brand new pump, brand new pressure line. If this is not the way it is supposed to be, well, not my fault, and I'll be returning both. (I'll also stand right there in the store and assemble the new line to the new pump, when they come in.)
I encountered the identical issue on my '89 7.3 during reassembly.
I was told under no uncertain terms there should be no play, so I replaced the pump and pres. hose with new seal.
I got the identical easy spin after done.
I then replaced the small seal with a larger one I had from a kit.
Same play.
In frustration/desperation I filled the new pump anyway with the front axle on a floor jack to free the tires.
Bled the system by turning extreme left/right.
There are no leaks.
It's holding perfect.
I don't know why mine acts differently, and I believe I replaced everything unnecessarily, but it hadn't run in 13 years, and I wasn't taking any chances.
This is my first diesel project, and I am no expert in any way.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know why mine acts differently, and I believe I replaced everything unnecessarily, but it hadn't run in 13 years, and I wasn't taking any chances.
This is my first diesel project, and I am no expert in any way.
Oh well. Live and learn.