Cheap ZD-9 Motorcraft plugs on Flea-Bay? Legit or sketchy?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, maybe it matters to someone in the group, but guitar strings are the same way. I bought a 3 pack of Ernie Ball 10s and found out they were fake. The packaging is really similar but different, the winding is different and the gauge is wrong too. I've never had a high E come untied from the ball end! So I found another reputable seller and got a 3 pack from him and they were legit. So I made sure to do a review boasting that THESE ARE REAL ERNIE BALLS!!!

So, I don't know how many pickers(other than boogers) we got on here, but apparently Ernie Ball and Dadario Elixers are the hot ones that they are faking.......ROCK ON!!!! LIKE GUITARZAN... AND HIS JUNGLE BAND...GIVEM A HAND HES ALL YOU CAN STAND GUITARZAN!!!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I bought a set off EBay about a year ago. They were fake. My results were as DougBoy mentioned. All looked good other than no hole in the package.
I had the same experience with some ZD1As that I bought for my 1985. After I discovered that there was no hole in the bags, I didn't even bother to open them. Straight in the trash!
I paid about $12 a plug from O'Reilly
That sounds about right.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock photos show a hole in the bag, which was the first thing I looked for.
After thatvI dunno. Odd that fakes can have the BERU engraving, that to me seems like the thing that would be missing from fakes. I guess that's the difference between fakes and aftermarket, eh? Aftermarket removes the branding...fakes lean into it.

As for the reviews, eBay's reviews are based on the seller, not the specific items. And as said above, they are really about first impression and shipping speed/packaging. That's how eBay has always been, it's not like Amazon in the review dept.

DougBoy66

Reaction score
Just some further info for you all. I bought new GP's from O'Autoparts store. They only sell the ZD-29. Supposedly the same. Here's some comparisons
You must be registered for see images attach

The QR code on the 29's is very clear. The fakes it is not and the there is a space in the middle of "MA DE" In Germany

Kind of hard to see but the hole is there in the clear part of the bag. The difference between the two GP'S are pretty visible

The fakes are "rusted" for lack of a better term where the laser etching is done. The 29's the etch is clean. Different metal on the bodies and they are different lengths.

The crimps are different too. The fakes are closer than the first one I saw, they now use the six panel crimp but it is not as defined or as neatly done as the real ones

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, great post! That's a ton of good side-by-side info. Great eye on the space in MA DE too, that's easy to spot in pictures at least
Just some further info for you all. I bought new GP's from O'Autoparts store. They only sell the ZD-29. Supposedly the same. Here's some comparisons

The QR code on the 29's is very clear. The fakes it is not and the there is a space in the middle of "MA DE" In Germany

Kind of hard to see but the hole is there in the clear part of the bag. The difference between the two GP'S are pretty visible

The fakes are "rusted" for lack of a better term where the laser etching is done. The 29's the etch is clean. Different metal on the bodies and they are different lengths.

The crimps are different too. The fakes are closer than the first one I saw, they now use the six panel crimp but it is not as defined or as neatly done as the real ones
The guitar string packs are the same way. And the actual strings are slightly greasy and slightly rusty.

DougBoy66

Reaction score
Dang, great post!
I am glad MtnHaul started this thread. I have been digging through info I could find on the counterfeit ones. I thought I was okay at one point because the fakes used to only have one round dimple and the new fakes have gotten much closer OEM looking. I just wanted to share everything I have figured out so everyone can be aware.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
LOL LOL I'll be SOOOOO glad when someone in this mixed up FAKE RIDDEN world finally gets around to building us some real deal Magic Carpets to zip around on, zip around & down to Seven-Leven on, zip out to WalMart on, .....just go zipppping round!

That way we could park our faithful 'ol 6.9's & 7.3's

When we were kids we used to joke around about riding on a Magic Carpet, now with AI progressing way it is I look for Magic Carpet Dealerships to be on EVERY CORNER in town within 5-7 yrs!!!! LOL LOL