Oil change without removing oil filter

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the idi used to change oil filter at every ~3k mile oci. Since the fl1995a filters got so expensive started to reuse the filter for 6k mile. I'm thinking for the next oil change of just draining the oil pan and leaving the filter in place. Any reason to not do this and drain + refill the filter?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy cheaper oil filters - they are available - it's better than putting clean oil through a dirty oil filter.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the idi used to change oil filter at every ~3k mile oci. Since the fl1995a filters got so expensive started to reuse the filter for 6k mile. I'm thinking for the next oil change of just draining the oil pan and leaving the filter in place. Any reason to not do this and drain + refill the filter?
I appreciate saving money, that said, I believe that you’re better off with the 5k oil and filter change.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that you can't it's more like you shouldn't. It's not the worst i've heard. I used to know a guy who wanted peoples old used oil for his car because it (still had more mileage to go) If you don't mind diluting your oil with a minimum 1.5 quarts of dirty used oil go right ahead. Personally, i'd just go get a cheap STP filter for 7-8$ at AutoZone and do the oil change.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

Buy this instead. Seems to be made by Wix and is very good quality. $10

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
@Kizer you're saying increase the oci to 5k?

The factory spec is 5000 for normal driving, 2500 for towing/heavily loaded/dusty conditions. I always did 2500 (except once 3000) for the motorhome because it was always heavily loaded and towing.

Doing around 3500 on my current van.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I appreciate saving money, that said, I believe that you’re better off with the 5k oil and filter change.

A higher mile diesel saturates the oil with soot in a shorter time. I would lean toward the increased frequency, bulk oil, and cheaper filters.

Rockauto often has clearance filters - many are old stock, from when more were USA-made.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 89 E350 driver side visor.

You must be registered for see images attach
I knew that I’d seen it on a sticker….somewhere!
Thank you.

Too bad that I didn’t remember the text correctly…I guess that’s why they put it on a sticker…on the visor.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If doing 2500 oci yes, maybe I'd go with that. for 5000, I'd go with the other because it has better filtering media

i have the $10 one standing by despite doing 3500ish ocis. I might go back to 2500 like I did with the RV but we'll see
Oh I agree. He was looking for cheap, so I gave it to him lol