Level 10 or John Wood Transmission?

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. The sell on Ebay all the time... Usually kinda expensive price on their parts. That trans will not fit from 92 to 98 either. The powerstrokes came out in the 94 1/2 year and they had a 6 bolt torque converter. Every E4OD before the psd engines had only a 4 bolt converter... Can a psd converter be placed on an idi trans or vice versa... I don't know... I wouldn't think so.

Ah, good to know -these trans replacement thing is getting to be a huge pita! Scammers everywhere doing cheap reseals and calling them rebuilt and on the other end, far away sources very expensive and I really do not like the idea of dealing with a problem over the phone versus having the person who built it, pull it again and fix the problem. Called Ford - they do not have the trans in either the regular or heavy duty reman any longer . . . .

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
if i were you i would spend the extra money on a very well known re-builder like John Wood or have a reputable local shop do it. just the smallest speck of dirt can destroy the trans. i am not a fan of buying something like this over the internet.

there are times to shop around based on price and times to shop around based on quality of work. this is one of the times for quality of work.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i were you i would spend the extra money on a very well known re-builder like John Wood or have a reputable local shop do it. just the smallest speck of dirt can destroy the trans. i am not a fan of buying something like this over the internet.

there are times to shop around based on price and times to shop around based on quality of work. this is one of the times for quality of work.

I was reading about a problem that someone had with a Level 10 unit and realized that even great builders make mistakes and experience unforeseen issues - when they are thousands of miles away, you are screwed -

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what all needs to be done? could always do it yourself. just need good organization, CLEAN work area, and an ATSG trans manual.

have considered this too . . . . not so sure I want to build a trans for the first time without someone truly knowledgeable looking over my shoulder

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I was reading about a problem that someone had with a Level 10 unit and realized that even great builders make mistakes and experience unforeseen issues - when they are thousands of miles away, you are screwed -

Talk with your local guy. Ask questions. I'm quite sure he will go through everything he dose to the tranny in detail. Specially if he has a really good rep.

Any transmission builder can have a screw up. Your local guy. The big name builders, ect. Chances are having a bum tranny are very slim with the guys that have a good rep.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
have considered this too . . . . not so sure I want to build a trans for the first time without someone truly knowledgeable looking over my shoulder

i have never messed with any VB work but the internals are not that big of deal to R&R. just make sure if/when you put everything back together, before you put the guts back in the case pressure test the clutches with air. if they pass that then the trans will work just fine. the pressure test is outlined in the ATSG manual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gavinc

Members online