Level 10 or John Wood Transmission?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Some of the early E4OD had smaller 5/16 lines to and from the colers. They at ford fixed that in 93 or 94 I think. 3/8 is what you want to have for line size. Also a triple disc torque converter is a must have item. They simply wont fail on you ever with the low hp and torque we make...

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Worked on a fleet of e4Od's in 94 E350 shuttle busses. They all had 5/16 lines. I hated those coaches.

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
For the fittings to make the 90*, get yourself a pair of the Edelmann 822660 from your local auto parts store. It requires special fittings since the cooler is a 3/8" inverted flare fitting on both ends. I got mine from O'Reilly (thanks to Tom S. for helping me source the proper fitting). These have a 3/8" hose fitting on them, but the 5/16" rubber hose will flex enough to fit over them. It is a tight fit. I plan on upgrading to 3/8" Super Duty transmission lines in the near future.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, will be upgrading to bigger lines and a triple disc TC without a doubt - a few simple mods makes a big difference I am learning with the e40d -

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Theres another item about changing the cooler lines from 5/16 to 3/8... The return line is the line that enters the tailshaft area of the trans. There is a special fitting in the trans. Thats a check valve and must be there. If thats removed your torque converter will drain down when the engine is shut off. Then it has to refill which will take some time. You just don't want to do that. Now removing that fitting so you can install the larger fitting is not so simple. Your going to have to drill out and tap that hole to the 3/8 fitting size. Now the real fun part... Those threads are not a 3/8 tapered pipe thread. They are the 3/8 straight cut conduit pipe threads. Never mix them up either. All fluid or gas pipe threads are a tapered compression type thread. The tighter they fit the more they seal. A straight thread will not seal no matter how tight you make it. What seals this area on the trans or any other fitting is an o-ring. Look at the brass fitting on the fuel line from out fuel filters where it enters our injection pumps... That a 1/2x13 machine screw thread with an o-ring sealing it....

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
To install 3/8" lines on an E4OD. Pick up a 4R100 bypass set up. Fab or buy the remaining lines to the cooler.
This set up will have the required check valve tp prevent drain back issues.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres another item about changing the cooler lines from 5/16 to 3/8... The return line is the line that enters the tailshaft area of the trans. There is a special fitting in the trans. Thats a check valve and must be there. If thats removed your torque converter will drain down when the engine is shut off. Then it has to refill which will take some time. You just don't want to do that. Now removing that fitting so you can install the larger fitting is not so simple. Your going to have to drill out and tap that hole to the 3/8 fitting size. Now the real fun part... Those threads are not a 3/8 tapered pipe thread. They are the 3/8 straight cut conduit pipe threads. Never mix them up either. All fluid or gas pipe threads are a tapered compression type thread. The tighter they fit the more they seal. A straight thread will not seal no matter how tight you make it. What seals this area on the trans or any other fitting is an o-ring. Look at the brass fitting on the fuel line from out fuel filters where it enters our injection pumps... That a 1/2x13 machine screw thread with an o-ring sealing it....

Great info, thank you!

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I have been on a big quest . . . . indie friend recommended Aamco or Ford reman with the idea that a local builder cannot support me on the road if all else fails and a national company could take care of me - anyone use a heavy duty Ford unit? Any good? This trans issue has my mind everywhere - lots of cheap builders but i am sure these are not properly rebuilt units. I am in Napa in the San Francisco Bay Area - any advice? Thanks!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Don't even think about AAMCO. You will need a national warrenty with that company. They suck.:eek:

I would talk with your local guy, or go with J Woods. :Thumbs Up Ford is decent.. Dose have national support.

Stay away from the budjet builders. To keep cost down. They recycle most of the junk parts foud in the E4OD. No or minimal updates in the rebuild. Cheap frictions, poor quality seals ect.:mad:

That's why they are cheap. A good builder will do all the updates, plus their little tricks to make it better. Good builders will replace all the bearings, washers and bushings. They will use quality parts. Why, because they don't want you to come back.:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. The sell on Ebay all the time... Usually kinda expensive price on their parts. That trans will not fit from 92 to 98 either. The powerstrokes came out in the 94 1/2 year and they had a 6 bolt torque converter. Every E4OD before the psd engines had only a 4 bolt converter... Can a psd converter be placed on an idi trans or vice versa... I don't know... I wouldn't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gavinc