Is this excessive play in the steering joints or not? '89 F-350 4x4

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was tested for it's annual Technical test or whatever you call that in the US?
The mechanic said this (see the video) was too much play on the steering joints?
To be fair, I hardly see any play, yes I see that the bars move, but I don't see that as "play" more as normal movement inherent at this system of steering? after all, this is not rack and pignion steering as in a regular modern car these days.
Can anyone confirm me that the steering bars at your truck ('89 F-350 D 4X4) move in the same way please?
Please have a look at the video, and tell me what you think?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jack it up off the suspension and geab a long bar and try and wiggle rhe jounts.
Slop is fore n aft.
Not radial ,as thats the design...
Ymmv when $$$ and big gvt. Are concerned...

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Its normal for the joints to 'roll' as steering direction changes. That is the design, as mentioned. Some aftermarket companies produce stiff bushings to reduce this.
(Example https://www.stinkyfab.com/products/sfr-roll-stopper-tie-rod-end-boot )

'Play' would be when one component can move laterally a noticable amount before the next component can 'catch up'. Like if the knuckle can steer slightly without the tie-rod moving, or the tie-rod can move without the drag-link moving, etc. (or vice-versa).

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, as I try to indicate, I think the inspector is wrong in this case, because what I see here is all "roll" no play.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can clock the tie rods in a way that will reduce the twisting. I have done it on before but it's been so long that I don't remember which direction to twist which joints to have it not bind.

I need to look it up through because after getting the toe in fixed on my 83 I have been experiencing some bump steer on the highway from the tie rods twisting.

James

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Bumpsteer (being feedback to the steering wheel) is more likely a bad track bar bushing. I would think the rolling action would absorb a little bit of bumpsteer.

If you mean the truck weaving when you hit a bump, you're probably low on caster angle.

edit: I fully mean Dana 60 front in this context

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with the track bar bushings if I had one. Unfortunately im 2wd.

Axle pivot bushings have about 2k on them, and radius bushings probably about 8k. King pins feel good.

When Jacking the wheel back and forth, there is a bit of play in the steering wheel before the wheels move. I don't feel any play in the tie rods just rotation.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
When Jacking the wheel back and forth, there is a bit of play in the steering wheel before the wheels move. I don't feel any play in the tie rods just rotation.
If that's not your steering box, then it's in the two piece, sliding part of the shaft above the steering box.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hallo Bart, Wie gehts..?

If I were you in this situation I would approach it one of two ways or both...

Ask to see the manual of guidelines for the technical inspection and read the section specifically involved with the pass/fail criteria on your steering system...then judge for yourself if you are being judged fairly or not.

If you are sure that your machine is fine...(and it should be given the low mileage it has on the chassis and drivetrain) then try to reason with your inspector technician to see things favorably for you.

If that fails...and you are sure that you are not being judged fairly then go to the regulating authority that the technician has to answer to and ask for an inspection arbiter and get a professional opinion from someone that is a master in this field.

In Virginia the Motor Vehicle State Inspection is under the jurisdiction of the Virginia State Police and here...you can request an officer to check over the issue to see if you are ok or not. At times I have requested to see the Manual that the State Inspectors have to refer to when making a judgement call on various things...and usually I have prevailed...but only when I have checked my vehicle over myself and was sure that I was ok.

Additionally...it looks like to me that the steering linkage is being checked with the suspension unloaded...that is not how it works when it is in service...I believe that it should be checked for excess wear when the suspension is loaded...but I could be wrong on that...but it is worth a thought.

Good luck on that.

P.S. In our culture here in the U.S. it is customary to challenge the authorities from time-to-time when we know were are in the right...

I am aware that this is not the norm in other countries...but sometimes a little boldness can be a liberating thing.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Xolatem,
I completely agree with you, Danke shun... :)
I did have the wheels on the ground in that video though.and somebody at the wheel quickly alternating left and right. I know, at the inspection they do it this way, or the other, on the hydraulic torture bank!
But I guess I try to contact the inspector again and have a chat with him.
thanks.

P.S. In our culture here in the U.S. it is customary to challenge the authorities from time-to-time when we know were are in the right...

I am aware that this is not the norm in other countries...but sometimes a little boldness can be a liberating thing.

Not so in FRANCE, the authorities here, all have their own little kingdom, and OH boy when you try to doubt them!!!

But that is exactly what I'm gonna do, I'm SOOOOO fed up with al these little would be kings, If they're wrong, they're wrong, no force on this world is gonna change that! and yes, for many of them that will get very uncomfortable! sure because they are not used to, that someone of the "Plebs" stays up and washes their ears!
After all, I'm not French...

Last edited:

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a exploded view from the steering system? (the bars and joints) so that I have the original part numbers so search for the pieces?
1989 F-350 7.3D 4x4 dually Chassis-cab.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things, I can't search on that, since I have not a US adress, second, in 1989 they seem to not have a F-350????? only a F-250 superduty, or a F53 stripped chassis??????
anyway, thanks for the link, but it seems useless to me???

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did have F350 7.3's in '89, as I have one myself.
I also have the full factory service set, three volumes, about 2600 pages.
The steering sections cover about 50 pages.
Can't post it here. Shoot me a pm

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me. I usually clock the joints closer so they can move freely but not twist. Also, I noticed your vacuum pump consistently making the "S-S-S-S" sound. Mine does this until it's created enough vacuum (5-10 seconds) in the vacuum system on startup. Are sure you don't have a leak?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emsbau

Members online