I like to set up a truck for regular towing what spec's should it have?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to set up a truck for regular towing what spec's should it ideally have?
It's for Europe, trailer would be a 3,5 - 4 metric tonne bumperpull, flat-hilly terrain mostly rural roads /highways.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good transmission cooler , a quality brake controller and a good wireless reversing camera that can be mounted on the rear of the trailer to monitor what's on your tail.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that of a reversing camera is a good'n didn't think of that one.
how good are our E4OD's? keep in mind that I have one of the first models, recently overhauled, but not modified with all those stronger goodies.

gandalf

Reaction score
An 8000 pound trailer should be no problem for a properly set up truck in good condition. I would absolutely have the largest transmission cooler I could find, mounted in front of the radiator. Heat is the number one enemy of your transmission. You say that your E4OD has been rebuilt, but not upgraded. It should be okay, though the upgrades would be better. Gauges: yes, have some gauges, aftermarket gauges. Ford gauges are nothing more than moving idiot lights. I'd suggest temperature gauges for coolant and transmission, and a pyrometer. For towing you might want a .410 rear axle. A turbo would be nice, but not necessary. With your truck set up decently you can cruise all day at 100 KPH, watching your gauges all the while.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5 gear FTW ;Really
Good brakes
4:ll gears
Intercooler
Great brake controller wireing

All the European things that are needed + some American translation to that idi. So they work.

All the slushbox upgrades.
Possibly sway control, ice control, ect...?

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OMG! I'll better start building a N(EW) OS truck!

@gandalf, A Pyrometer when the engine has no turbo? would you care to explain? (I've only heard that a pyrometer serves with turbo's?)
It has the 10.25 .410 dually rear.
And yes, when I put the trans in for overhauling we had spoken for the upgrades (because this is one of the first E4OD's) and he should contact me when he arrived there, but he never called me again until the trans was ready, (to factory spec's).

gandalf

Reaction score

@gandalf, A Pyrometer when the engine has no turbo? would you care to explain? (I've only heard that a pyrometer serves with turbo's?)
I...
My reason for wanting, for having, a pyrometer on my non-turbo truck is based on an overabundance of caution. I want to know about the current condition of my engine at any given time as I'm driving. I have had my truck run as high as 1100*F, for short periods, in the hills. Keep in mind that the aluminum in our engines starts to melt at 1150*F. This is something which I really want to avoid happening.

I have three aftermarket gauges in my truck, a pyrometer, a coolant temp, and a transmission temp. Heat is one of the early indications of a problem. I want to know about it as soon as possible.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Pyrometer when the engine has no turbo? would you care to explain? (I've only heard that a pyrometer serves with turbo's?)
I have always heard that the idi's should have had a pyrometer from the factory. I have no idea what temps they run in stock form, as I don't have one on mine. I also don't tow with mine, it is my good fuel mileage drive to work truck.

James

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always heard that the idi's should have had a pyrometer from the factory. I have no idea what temps they run in stock form, as I don't have one on mine. I also don't tow with mine, it is my good fuel mileage drive to work truck.

James
They really don’t get much hotter than most other diesels…

EGTs are typically only detrimental to pistons with heavily advanced timing, putting more heat into the combustion process makes more power, at the cost of a thinner air buffer between the piston and combustion plume. And thus at prolonged periods of high heat, the more advanced the timing, the less time it takes, heat will do its damage.

With stock timing that’s not likely to be too much of a concern.

This in turn explains why turbo’d IDIs like slightly less timing, more of the heat is put into the exhaust, and since heat is effectively energy of a kind, that will in turn spool the turbo better and give it more punch, thus more air, better responsiveness, etc.

The 6.7 Cummins in stock form can get up to 1350-1400*, but with the insanely capable control of the common rail system and the mild timing, that’s not too much of a concern.

Duramaxes and newer Powerstrokes can get even hotter, doesn’t seem to be too rough on them either…

The old 5.9 24V VP44 trucks could get pretty hot, and their valve seats were prone to cracking from the heat. That would happen long before the piston would crack… but wouldn’t hardly affect power enough to really notice, especially with aftermarket performance chips…

EGTs aren’t really the killer… timing relative to intensity of combustion heat is.

This should not be taken as, ‘EGTs and pyrometers aren’t important, for they most certainly are, but it’s worth taking into consideration the cause and effects of EGTs, and how and why the potential damage from the phenomenon is relative. I am a big fan of pyrometers, I would much prefer to have one than to not.