How to remove upper brake hose from bracket

87F-250HD

Reaction score
How do I remove the upper brake hose fitting from the bracket inside the wheel well, so I can put a new hose in?

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• IMG_2146.jpeg
    IMG_2146.jpeg
    378.7 KB · Views: 13

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This project will go better if you have soaked the brake line and fitting with some good penetrating oil a couple of days ahead of time...

Do you have a small torch..? I have found that heating the fitting to loosen it from the hard line and then using some PB Blaster or equivalent and then CAREFULLY using a flare nut wrench to work the fitting back-and-forth until it turns free.

Once the brake line nut is loose remove the clip that holds the hose to the bracket and then pop it loose from the caliper...compare the old hose to the new one before you let the wife take control of it and get it out of the dining room....

87F-250HD

Reaction score
Thank you!! I’m having trouble with getting the hose off of the bracket; where is the clip that holds it to the bracket and how do I remove it? Thanks again!

87F-250HD

Reaction score
Got it - the clip sits behind the bracket and a curved pick worked well to get it off.

Attachments

• IMG_2171.jpeg
    IMG_2171.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 5

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the clip you have looks like the same clip that holds the rim sprocket in place on a chainsaw clutch & drum assembly. They are commonly know as the "Jesus Christ Clips" because when removing them they have a tendency to suddenly pop off with great force causing one to mutter "Jesus Christ!!" as the search begins.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are commonly know as the "Jesus Christ Clips" because when removing them they have a tendency to suddenly pop off with great force causing one to mutter "Jesus Christ!!" as the search begins.
I've more often than not heard them called "e" clips, but your explanation is more fun.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In both instances. Although I heard them referred to as "Oh Jesus" clips because when you drop one, oh Jesus are they hard to find!
Hell I never just drop them! :frustrate

When I lose one they usually go flying somewhere. You also know your screwed when you hear it ting off several things on the other end of the shop. I keep lots of assorted sizes in the shop for those moments.

James

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You also know your screwed when you hear it ting off several things on the other end of the shop.
Yes, that is the classic situation since a lot of us have crowded shops/tool sheds/workbenches. And the more tings and pings the more fun the search.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've more often than not heard them called "e" clips, but your explanation is more fun.
In both instances. Although I heard them referred to as "Oh Jesus" clips because when you drop one, oh Jesus are they hard to find!
When I lose one they usually go flying somewhere. You also know your screwed when you hear it ting off several things on the other end of the shop.
My secret is to hold a small magnet next to the clip, favoring the direction that they'll come off. Then, as the clip comes loose, the magnet will grab it and keep it from flying away.

Ok, time for a personal vignette...and all of the above comments is what prompted me...

I used to have a shop...I did mostly transmissions...

On the kickdown linkage on most earlier Fords (before they went to a cable with a socket) the linkage was held to the throttle lever with an e-clip...(you guys refer to them as 'jesus clips', 'Oh Jesus clips' etc....

I used so many of those little effers (typically they were missing) that I bought them in small manila envelopes...

I had a truck that I needed to adjust the kickdown on one day after a test drive and it was parked out in front of the office...nice day, office door open...

I went to my stash of clips and grabbed one and stuck it between my teeth to hang on to it until I was able to grab a couple of tools and a half of a 55-gallon barrel to use as a platform to stand on and lean over the engine...

By the time I was set up to put on the clip...it was gone.....

!!!???!!!

I grabbed a glass of water and tried to flush out my mouth and spit it out into a transmission pan...( you wind up using transmission pans for everything...they just seem to be so...handy....)

Nothing....nowhere...the clip disappeared....

I looked everywhere...

Where did it go...??

I did not think to partially swallow a magnet....might have worked...

I had this sinking feeling...that something just was not ever going to be the same again.....

I pulled myself together...partially....went and got another clip and put it on a magnet and went and fixed the truck...and then pondered what might happen...

I had heard stories about what doctors had found in appendixes that they had removed...toothbrush bristles, coins, etc.

I imagine what would be the reaction if a 'jesus clip' was found in there...

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, time for a personal vignette...and all of the above comments is what prompted me...

I used to have a shop...I did mostly transmissions...

On the kickdown linkage on most earlier Fords (before they went to a cable with a socket) the linkage was held to the throttle lever with an e-clip...(you guys refer to them as 'jesus clips', 'Oh Jesus clips' etc....

I used so many of those little effers (typically they were missing) that I bought them in small manila envelopes...

I had a truck that I needed to adjust the kickdown on one day after a test drive and it was parked out in front of the office...nice day, office door open...

I went to my stash of clips and grabbed one and stuck it between my teeth to hang on to it until I was able to grab a couple of tools and a half of a 55-gallon barrel to use as a platform to stand on and lean over the engine...

By the time I was set up to put on the clip...it was gone.....

!!!???!!!

I grabbed a glass of water and tried to flush out my mouth and spit it out into a transmission pan...( you wind up using transmission pans for everything...they just seem to be so...handy....)

Nothing....nowhere...the clip disappeared....

I looked everywhere...

Where did it go...??

I did not think to partially swallow a magnet....might have worked...

I had this sinking feeling...that something just was not ever going to be the same again.....

I pulled myself together...partially....went and got another clip and put it on a magnet and went and fixed the truck...and then pondered what might happen...

I had heard stories about what doctors had found in appendixes that they had removed...toothbrush bristles, coins, etc.

I imagine what would be the reaction if a 'jesus clip' was found in there...
That is even better than the first explanation!!! Only goes to reinforce... this too shall pass. :flush