Has anyone ever had a hard fuel line break?

Junkhead_1992

Reaction score
Recently had a very bad fuel leak on my 6.9 IDI turns out the hard line coming out of the injection pump broke right at the fitting. Had this ever happened to anyone else? Had a lot of these motors but never had this happen. Ironically enough all the return lines don’t leak.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
By "out of the injection pump" I assume that you mean the high pressure lines that go to the injectors. I suppose it could happen. It seems to be more common for them to break close to an injector, but I don't see why the other end couldn't break as well.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do not have the clamps on the hard lines, the vibration
can and will eventually cause them to crack and leak.

Goat

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is a very common problem if you have a clamp missing on the lines. When I did some work to mine years ago I had to take one of those clamps off, it was a little aggravating to mess with, so I left it off. 6 months later I had a cracked line.

This picture shows the clamps around the lines.

You must be registered for see images attach

RanniWins

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like a bummer of a leak for your 6.9 IDI. You're not alone though, IDIBRONCO mentioned these high pressure lines can crack, especially near the injectors, but apparently the injection pump connection isn't immune either.

The good news is there might be a culprit: missing clamps. Old Goat and franklin2 both chimed in that these clamps are crucial to prevent vibrations from causing cracks. Looks like franklin2 even learned that the hard way! Might be worth checking those clamps and replacing any missing ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nighthawk14

Members online