Engine bolt torque specs needed

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to bolt this engine together and I can't seem to find my torque specs Notes. 7.3 Any body got this info?

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Which bolts do you need specs for? 6.9 & 7.3 head bolts use different specs. The rest are the same. My Chilton's manual lists these: intake 22-32, exhaust 28-32, flywheel 45-50, harmonic balancer 85-95, mains torque all to 72, then to 95, rods first to 38 then to46-51, heads first 40, then 65, then 75, finally to 75 again when hot for a 6.9. although I remember we used to go to 80 then 80 again while cold on the heads. For 7.3 heads, I don't remember the exact numbers for the steps up, but we used to end with 100 as the final step. I remember the rocker arms went to 20. I think the valve covers were 20 too, but you need to go tighter on the valve cover bolts if you use the rubber gaskets instead of cork. I feel those are the better ones to use. They don't seem to leak like the cork ones do. Hope this helps.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please list the torque you need for the differant parts and what engine you have.. Are you installing head studs is another question might be good to answer.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK My engine is a 7.3 and I was stupid and didn't say it in my post......I will be putting the rotating assembly in today and I will need all the bottom end bolt specs.. I know the standard bolt size specs for grade 5 and 8 but I know there is some differance when MFG put there stuff together and I wanted the correct numbers for the rods and mains, and cam gear, cam plate for now. I will need things like oil pump, damper, flywheel, verry soon after. Thankyou

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This torque is for all 6.9 and 7.3 rods, mains, flywheel, dampner and cam bolt.
Camshaft screw...... 15 lbs
Dampner bolt......... 90 lbs
Rods... 38 then final 51 lbs
Mains..75 then final 95 lbs
Cylinder heads.......100 lbs
Rockers...............20 lbs

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gary I spent all morning changing a 3.4 v6 in a 03 chevy venture for my neice untill it started raining. :mad: So I came home to intall my cam and crank. After dinner I will see how far I get on the pistons and rods. I had this info on a note to self, But I lost it somewhere. cookoo OH by the way I found most of the piston squriters were clogged up with babit flakes. Had to clean them out real good. ;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the head bolts.

Torque in lb ft.: 1st pass 65 ----2nd pass 90---3rd pass 110

Attachments

• Document (12).bmp.jpg
    Document (12).bmp.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Document (12).bmp-001.jpg
    Document (12).bmp-001.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 25

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic of the bolt torque order. I new it was somthing like that, but wasen't sure. I got the cam in and the crank, Dam that thing is heavy....torqued it in three stages to 95 Then after dinner I put together some pistons and rods, then the nieghbor came over to see why the shop light was on and all forward progress came to a halt....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do you know what direction the pistons fit the rods and then the piston orientation in the engine. These is a big differance how they fit. First off all pistons fit the block with the flame trench at the top of the cylinder right under the precups port. You may see an arrow printed on the piston top with the word... CAM and an arrow showing the direction. Look at the pin end of the rod. See the large balance weight. That faces away from the cam. Another way of looking at this is the weight faces the outside of the block. Watch the big end orientation too. There are two completely differant sides of the crank to rod bearing surfaces. One side has littl or no chamfer to it.. That side meets up with the other rod hanging on that crank bearing journel. Now the oppisite side of the rod has a large chamfer to it... Thats made that way so it does not bind up on the crank bearing radius to the journel. I hope this isn't confusing. If so I will try to explain it differantly...

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YA Garry This may be my first IDI rebuild, But I have built a lot of engines and Know that there are some differant things about The IDI that one must watch out for. I have a note by you from about 8 months ago with this verry info on it. Thanks for looking out for me though. I cut the pistons .030 so no marks on them, although I know witch way they go... I removed most of the little end weight, but there is enuff to see. And I marked the rods when I removed them so they go back in the same way. I do have one question..You posted 15 lbs for the cam screw.. is that the hex screw on the end of the cam or the bolts on the plate?...seems to low for the center bolt. OH It quit raining this afternoon so I finished the engine swap for my neice. Dam I hate frontwheel drive/allweel drive sideways mounted engine cars.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The screw in the end of the camshaft has a torque vaule of 15 ft lbs. Remember its an interferiance fit between the gear and the shaft. So not much torque is required to hold it in place. I looked for the thrust plate bolt torque but found nothing in my shop service manual.. Sorry..

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats makes more sence now... Thankyou verry much Gary,:hail You aways have the info at hand most of us need. ;Sweet I don't have a shop manual for the IDI, I suppose I should get one someday...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Thats makes more sence now... Thankyou verry much Gary,:hail You aways have the info at hand most of us need. ;Sweet I don't have a shop manual for the IDI, I suppose I should get one someday...
...Or someone could scan it for the tech section. Full size diagrams, complete descriptions, the whole nine yards. print out what you need for the job at hand and don't get the book dirty!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH It quit raining this afternoon so I finished the engine swap for my neice. Dam I hate frontwheel drive/allweel drive sideways mounted engine cars.

Even more so on a Van. How the Hell do you get to the spark plugs on the backside of the engine. I guess, jackup high, block, climb under and reach. :mad::mad:

Oooops, this is a diesel forum, sorry. :rolleyes: :D

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The van 03 chevy venture van lost its water pump and My 23 yr old niece,( that I raised from 12 untill she was 18) just kept putting water in when she remembered too... then it pushed a head gasket and she drove it till it puked.. I had to drop the complete front sub frame out from under the van in the drive way at my brothers house, with only a engine hoist and a floor jack. I picked up a complete engine from a local yard they do good job pulling them and caping all the important lines and hoses. swaped engines on the sub frame and pulled it all up into place again what a pain.. well she's going to school to be a nurse so someday she can save my life or somthing....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online

No members online now.