Dodge 3500 towing

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t realize there was so much love for the 6.7 Cummins!

I’ve got a friend who has one needs rockers and a new bed. 175k on it and would sell it for 4k as he bought something else.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Dang I only wish they went that cheap here. Dont think ive seen a beat up one for under 15k

94turbocrewcab-lb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a i know a guy sort of deal.

I’m selling my idi to fund the purchase of an international dump truck to start a septic business with my son. I don’t really enjoy driving it as much as I once did.

But I also like the idea of getting that 2010 6.7 and slowly fixing it up.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a i know a guy sort of deal.

I’m selling my idi to fund the purchase of an international dump truck to start a septic business with my son. I don’t really enjoy driving it as much as I once did.

But I also like the idea of getting that 2010 6.7 and slowly fixing it up.
Most people if they aren’t dodge folks like the Cummins but don’t like the truck around it. I’m relatively indifferent to things. Ford IMO has the best build & price portal and setup for customizing truck orders. I also like how they split the commercial and non-commercial service and sales support. I’ve had 3 dodge trucks, 1 Chevy, and 3-4 fords and I liked everything in different ways but overall I liked the fords the best. Just personal preference without going into details.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I’ve got a friend who has one needs rockers and a new bed. 175k on it and would sell it for 4k as he bought something else.

Dang I only wish they went that cheap here. Dont think ive seen a beat up one for under 15k
For my thoughts on these two posts, see my thread titled "Who's smarter?".
LOL…I thought this thread was going to be about towing a 1 ton dodge!
Oh well.
As often as they need to be towed, there still HAS to be one that isn't about it being towed.
Most people if they aren’t dodge folks like the Cummins but don’t like the truck around it.
EXACTLY!

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people if they aren’t dodge folks like the Cummins but don’t like the truck around it.
You nailed that one on the head!

Dodge is the only truck I have ever been around that I have never had any desire to own.

It is pretty much impossible to beat the low end torque of an inline engine though, that's the only reason I think the Cummins gets all the attention that it does.

James

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s s pretty much impossible to beat the low end torque of an inline engine though
I have to agree.
Additionally, the inline seems much “smoother” to me.

Some of the best engines that I’ve ever owned were I 6’s.

The V8 Diesel is still my favorite .

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am relatively indifferent towards vehicle brand, I have never owned a GM vehicle of any sort, but I don’t really have anything against them. They don’t seem to be built quite as stout, but maybe that’s just me. The lighter duty front end and older engines just don’t appeal to me so much, not a huge fan of the styling or design, although that doesn’t matter as much to me. From what little I’ve been around older GM stuff, it did seem extremely straightforward and easy to work on… and they seem tough enough despite their light-duty-esque design.

I am partial to Dodge, they are definitely the worst trucks themselves… but of course the engines, particularly and especially the Cummins, are pretty awesome… even their gas engines hold their own, Hemis and Magnums might not have the most torque, but they run just fine. The V10 Magnum is an odd, overcomplicated weirdo in the world of heavy duty light truck engines, but it definitely does its job, with the whine of a vacuum and ghostly burbly rumble of… hell? Or something from another frickin dimension… no idea why they sound like they do… an almost alive, creepy sound… flat torque curve, which makes pulling easy as long as you like stopping for fuel haha. And the manual helps, but the V10 could only be had with a manual if you specifically ordered it that way… I know the complete and full history of mine for that reason…

The 6.7 Cummins is a beast. Big power and bigger dependability. Despite their small issues with short turbo lives, and emissions system malfunctions, they are very tough. Have over 300k on a few at work, run like they’re new. The trucks themselves are worse for wear but the engines don’t care. And the Dodge transmissions aren’t near as bad as people say. The programming can be a bit stupid sometimes for shifting while towing, but they definitely got that ironed out more recently.

The 5.9…

Common rail? An even stouter simpler version of the 6.7 it seems to me. The 06 and 07 models run like hell too. 03-05, not as powerful in my experience, had their share of injector issues, and other minor things, but all in all not too bad.

VP44… I actually don’t like these… they made something so simple very messy and kinda complicated. And they don’t seem much better power wise than a very lightly turned up P pump 12V… which is overrated but still an excellent engine. They came in absolutely crap trucks though. The early second gens are garbage, with the later version being hardly any better. I own a late second gen… it’s just not that great.

VE pump Cummins… staple of reliability, start so well… and in stock form, utterly, completely, totally, absolutely gutless. Neighbor of mine 4 miles south has some, and my service truck would tun circles around him while I was without turbo and loaded almost twice as heavy. I help him with hay every summer, but those stock VE pump Cummins are the slowest, most gutless things I have ever driven. It’s horrible. But of course, just the lightest bump in fuel wakes them way up, and the same to a P pumped version makes an enormous difference… biggest problem with the mechanical Cummins, seems difficult to make power without smoke. Much easier to keep the smoke at bay with…

The IDI…

Ford… our trucks’ era, simple, capable, reliable, dependable, rugged, easy to maintain, work on, use, and really, kinda fun, the level of tinkering typically associated with these is enjoyable IMO. And the fact that you can still do something. The 7.3 PSD may as well fall in the same category despite its extra level of complexity. Parts are plentiful and there is still activity and new developments by the aftermarket stirring around. And really, affordable as well. Ford’s golden era for trucks IMO, the ‘90s. They are seeming to have another golden era with their 6.7s, which I have some experience with. Those things are frickin awesome. Would definitely be my first pick for a late model truck. 11-14 had their issues but the 15+ are tanks, really. All these things have their issues, but they’re complicated enough that it’s a given. Old trucks have their problems too, of a different sort though.

But, the price of parts for these 6.7s amazes me, Duramax parts and really some Cummins stuff is much pricier. A set of injectors for a 6.7 PSD is under $3k, for OEM! Of course that doesn’t include labor, but really, that just doesn’t seem so bad to me as complicated as these things are…

Probably wouldn’t last as long as a Cummins, but still…

It is my opinion that the Ford trucks themselves are about as good as it gets… at least for a full size American truck.

The ‘Yota trucks are too small, but from what I have been around the older ones, they are effectively designed to be abused to an extent. Neighbor of mine has 1.1 million on one, 800k on another, and 450k on another. They all have original engines, the million miler got a new tranny not too long ago LOL

And he beats on them. Treats them like a kid treats an old ATV. Just tears around in em and they just keep going. Stuff breaks, but still. They just go.

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am relatively indifferent towards vehicle brand, I have never owned a GM vehicle of any sort, but I don’t really have anything against them. They don’t seem to be built quite as stout, but maybe that’s just me. The lighter duty front end and older engines just don’t appeal to me so much, not a huge fan of the styling or design, although that doesn’t matter as much to me. From what little I’ve been around older GM stuff, it did seem extremely straightforward and easy to work on… and they seem tough enough despite their light-duty-esque design.

I am partial to Dodge, they are definitely the worst trucks themselves… but of course the engines, particularly and especially the Cummins, are pretty awesome… even their gas engines hold their own, Hemis and Magnums might not have the most torque, but they run just fine. The V10 Magnum is an odd, overcomplicated weirdo in the world of heavy duty light truck engines, but it definitely does its job, with the whine of a vacuum and ghostly burbly rumble of… hell? Or something from another frickin dimension… no idea why they sound like they do… an almost alive, creepy sound… flat torque curve, which makes pulling easy as long as you like stopping for fuel haha. And the manual helps, but the V10 could only be had with a manual if you specifically ordered it that way… I know the complete and full history of mine for that reason…

And then Ford… the one of our trucks’ era, simple, capable, reliable, dependable, rugged, easy to maintain, work on, use, and really, kinda fun, the level of tinkering typically associated with these is enjoyable IMO. And the fact that you can still do something. The 7.3 PSD may as well fall in the same category despite its extra level of complexity. Parts are plentiful and there is still activity and new developments by the aftermarket stirring around. And really, affordable as well. Ford’s golden era for trucks IMO, the ‘90s. They are seeming to have another golden era with their 6.7s, which I have some experience with. Those things are frickin awesome. Would definitely be my first pick for a late model truck. 11-14 had their issues but the 15+ are tanks, really. All these things have their issues, but they’re complicated enough that it’s a given. Old trucks have their problems too, of a different sort though.

But, the price of parts for these 6.7s amazes me, Duramax parts and really some Cummins stuff is much pricier. A set of injectors for a 6.7 PSD is under $3k, for OEM! Of course that doesn’t include labor, but really, that just doesn’t seem so bad to me as complicated as these things are…

Probably wouldn’t last as long as a Cummins, but still…

It is my opinion that the Ford trucks themselves are about as good as it gets… at least for a full size American truck.

The ‘Yota trucks are too small, but from what I have been around the older ones, they are effectively designed to be abused to an extent. Neighbor of mine has 1.1 million on one, 800k on another, and 450k on another. They all have original engines, the million miler got a new tranny not too long ago LOL

And he beats on them. Treats them like a kid treats an old ATV. Just tears around in em and they just keep going. Stuff breaks, but still. They just go.
Nothing like blowing kegger intake manifold gaskets on 5.2/5.9 magnum engines and peering down the butterflies with a flashlight to see a pool of oil. I have to thank magnum engines - because of them I swore off of gas engines in trucks and it resulted in me buying my first idi

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing like blowing kegger intake manifold gaskets on 5.2/5.9 magnum engines and peering down the butterflies with a flashlight to see a pool of oil. I have to thank magnum engines - because of them I swore off of gas engines in trucks and it resulted in me buying my first idi
Notice that I didn’t really say they were good… there are good ones out there, but it seems if you have trouble then the trouble never ends with a Dodge gasser…

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As often as they need to be towed, there still HAS to be one that isn't about it being towed.
HA, that reminds me of my neighbor down the road. I've never even met him, but he has to drive past my house to get home. Drives a gold Dodge CCLB 24-valve 4x4. I don't know what he's done to it or anything, I just know that I've seen it on a flatbed more times than I've changed the oil in my own pickup over the years I've lived here! :joker: