Dodge 3500 towing

1wonton

Reaction score
I plan to do some medium/heavy towing with my 2019 Dodge 3500. What gauges should I have, and where's the best supplier?

ron

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil Pressure, Water Temperature are the main two that you should have. Voltage is one you can choose if towing might cause an electrical issue.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really should’ve posted this in the Dodge page, but I suppose it will be easier for others to find here. I do have experience with those trucks, we have them at work. If it is bone stock, you have absolutely no need for gauges. Those trucks will pull anything without any issues. Especially the high outputs. But be prepared for it to drink a lot of fuel.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under the vehicle info screen on your dash, there should be a gauge summary page. That is what I usually leave it on while towing.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that might be worth checking, is that some of the early high outputs had oil consumption issues, mostly an issue in 2019 and 2020. But I don’t know if yours is high output or not.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the newer trucks like 2019 not have reliable factory gauges? Happy to see a thread like this albeit in the idi section but just curious

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They maybe reliable but accurate? NO! What does Hot mean? 200 degrees or 220 degrees? This is why I always use after market gauges. Whose gauges is your call.

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gauges are in degrees and in my experience they have been pretty accurate. I really don’t know what gages he wants. They have a factory boost gauge. There isn’t a pyrometer, but really a stock Cummins does not need one. They just don’t get very hot.

I would just hook up, check lights, go to the gauge summary screen, put it in tow mode, and go. There is no need to worry. Those trucks are badazz

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it has an automatic transmission, I'd install a trans temp gauge no matter how big the cooler is.
They have an accurate factory one. There is really no need to add gages to these things. They already have everything you need. And really engineered quite well for pulling.

Unfortunately, order trucks aren’t really ever going to match the new ones as far as performance and day-to-day reliability. Emission system problems typically are not that frequent. When they occur out of warranty, they can be somewhat expensive, and the newer Cummins turbos usually don’t last very long, but other than that, they are built to more refined standards, and are a good bit stronger and stouter.

But of course, they don’t seem to last as long

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I’ve never even seen temps get out of hand and I pulled some crazy crap with this truck. This new stuff just doesn’t overheat.

The work truck I am issued is a 2019, it doesn’t have the greatest selection of tools, so there are plenty of times that I use my service truck, but pulling heavy loads at higher speed, and hauling around other people at work, this 2019 really does work much better. It rides way rougher than my service truck though…

Last edited:

1wonton

Reaction score
Thanks for all hte replies. I was thinking I needed a boost gauge, I am unaware my truck has this (2019 3500 Cummins 6.7 high output).

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all hte replies. I was thinking I needed a boost gauge, I am unaware my truck has this (2019 3500 Cummins 6.7 high output).
I don’t remember what page it’s on, but it’s in there. Not that it really matters, they make about 35 PSI and that won’t hurt the engine or anything at all…

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
As someone who works for the big red C, just send it. That engine is built with tons of anti-abuse programming in it. Only thing you may do is overheat it, but if you keep an eye on the coolant gauge you'll be good.