Convert to push button start? No key needed?

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good writeup/tutorial/video/whatever on wiring up a start button to completely bypass the key/ignition cylinder? I live in a rural area and am not concerned with theft. I always wanted to do this and now that my ignition actuator appears to be kaput this may be the right time.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good writeup/tutorial/video/whatever on wiring up a start button to completely bypass the key/ignition cylinder? I live in a rural area and am not concerned with theft. I always wanted to do this and now that my ignition actuator appears to be kaput this may be the right time.

all you need is a toggle switch for the fuel shut off solenoid, a manual push button for the glow plugs such that you have the + on the switch (easier on 6.9; 7.3 needs a little more modding to the wiring), and a starter push button to the starter relay on the fender. no need to even touch the stock wiring that way.

you'd turn off the toggle switch to turn off the truck, just like turning an ignition switch to off.

(edit: oh i didn't account for e4od.... so ignore unless you have c6. also i guess turn signals etc wouldn't work. basically you just tap into the switch on the steering column to bypass the ignition switch btw)

these trucks are almost as easy to steal as old VWs, with just a few test leads.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I do have the E4OD. I guess I'll have to do some searching and reading. I don't want to create more headaches in an effort to make things simpler. I had thought about just wiring the systems you mentioned but I do want turn signals and windows, etc to work. I'm probably better off just fixing the actuator rod for the time being.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you could use the key for the on/off and still have a push button for the start. If you can still use it to turn the ignition on and off.
That would be OK too. At the moment the lock cylinder is out and the key is stuck but not in the run position so the cylinder cannot be reinserted as the pin will only depress when key is in the run position. I've tried a lot of searching and fiddling but that key is darn stuck and only rotates about 75 degrees back and forth. I would've liked to keep the original key but oh well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Those are expendable to me. As cheap as you can buy new cylinders and keys, I don't see any reason to bother keeping a particular one.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the lock cylinder is out, can’t you just use the actuator rod with a pair of pliers for everything?

I had to do that on my ‘84 C10 (Chevy) and just removed the outer plastic hiding the rod.

I didn’t worry about theft either. Pushed it in to start it, then it springs back to run mode. Then pulled it out to shut it down.....

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the lock cylinder is out, can’t you just use the actuator rod with a pair of pliers for everything?

I had to do that on my ‘84 C10 (Chevy) and just removed the outer plastic hiding the rod.

I didn’t worry about theft either. Pushed it in to start it, then it springs back to run mode. Then pulled it out to shut it down.....
Probably yes as to using pliers or the ever useful Vice-Grips on the actuator rod. But this truck is actually almost nice by my standards so I'm trying to keep things less hacked or at least "cleanly hacked".

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Buy a new lock cylinder have a new key cut with door key on one side and ignition on the other side. You will have one key for everything and won't have to change door lock. After a few weeks you will get use to it.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don`t need no stinkin key to start it.
Think I had the 86 maybe a year before I discovered
One day I could start it w/o a key. Jumped in turned
the ignition and she started.
Been that way the past 9 years. Gonna fix it some day.

I did by pass the clutch start switch with a jumper wire
on the plug. Could run it to a Toggle for starting it.
The dodad thingy for the Auto trans could do the same
thing.

Goat

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wired in a ignition switch for a farm tractor to mine years ago. Whenever it wears out I go to a Napa or Tractor Supply and pickup another one. It has the Acc, off, on and start. I just traced the wires (or a diagram) and hooked them up accordingly. I put a hole in the plastic on the dash on the lower right side and it was up and running. Has lasted longer than the stock ignition setup ever did.