Chronic repeated mouse/rat problem

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
What is it about this van? Yes, I had mice in the RV twice but THIS YEAR ALONE I have now had mice 3 times, and a rat once.

I got the rat first, and got rid of that when by Salina, UT in late April.

Moved on near McCammon ID and had a bunch of mice, kept catching them with traps under the hood. Caught something like 5. Finally seemed rid of them by roughly May 20. It was peaceful, as I moved on and camped two other places.

Around June 8, and had a new infestation, just south of Island Park, ID. Again, kept catching them under the hood. Left on June 18 and was peaceful.. until today.

Yesterday, I came to the same RV park I used last two summers (no mice issues then) and within 48 hours of getting here, I have a mouse (or rat). The unopened bag of dog biscuits I bought around 9 days ago, which was not chewed into yesterday, is now chewed into after I kept hearing tonight when I tried to go to bed. Started poking around looking and found it.

Makes me think it might be a rat, because the last one ignored peanut but went nuts for dog kibble. I have baited the big metal live trap that worked well for the last rat with a dog biscuit from the bag (stuffed the bag in the sealed dog food vault) and also set regular snap traps with peanut butter, up front on the floors near the place where it got into the bag.

So, I'm on my 4th infestation in 2 months time.

1) single rat - late April
2) mice - mid/late May
3) mice - early/mid June
4) mouse/rat now (edit: mice) - late June

This van is cursed.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Within about 10 minutes of setting traps again, a mouse was caught in a snap trap by the side door. The van has factory rubber mat steps by the front and side doors, so I placed the trap by the side door on the step. Grabbed my expanding broom and swept it out the door for now. I'll deal with it in the morning. Especially since it wasn't quite dead yet.

I have another trap on the step by the driver door still, so perhaps it'll catch another. Seems like I'm still hearing something up front.

Edit: Needless to say, I'm sleeping lightly right now. An hour and a half later, I heard the other trap spring. So, at 3am, I got up to sweep it outside and set two more traps. The first trap was gone! Then I saw a cat nearby in the shadows, when I was just now outside. It must have carried it away. So, I left the second one on the ground for it too. Maybe it'll snoop around every night hoping for more, and keep it's scent around to keep future mice away.

But that also means I can't set traps on the ground, even under the van. The cat might get caught in them. So, I'd have to set them under the ajar hood like before, or inside like I have caught two tonight, so far.

Last edited:

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read from plenty of other members about mice issues in their trucks; you seem to be ahead of the curve. A cat sounds like a good idea. Your travails make mine pale in comparison. Last weekend I had time to get back working on the ac after leaving the truck sit for several days. Windows and doors were closed. Once I opened the passenger door; I was met by at least 20 hungry mosquitoes intent on having breakfast. It's not like I have a stagnant pond for a back seat. :***:
All in all; I'd be more concerned if I was faced with your situation and the damage they could cause. My outside cat does a pretty good job of keeping the critter population at bay.

divemaster5734

Reaction score
Had a mouse that wrecked havoc in my '14 Laramie Longhorn Ecodiesel 4x4.
Nothing like spending $70,000 on a rig only to have a freaking rodent destroy stuff.
Finally picked up some Peppermint Essential Oil, mixed about 3-1 with water, put in a spray bottle and saturated everywhere.
That drove it out.
I'll gladly put up with the very strong peppermint scent than anymore cables and caps getting chewed up, or insulation torn up and made into a bed.
I know it was the neighbors cat that chased a mouse from their house that started it.
ahh.. neighbors...
Good Luck.
I think a chipmunk moved into a C350 project I'm doing.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Had a mouse that wrecked havoc in my '14 Laramie Longhorn Ecodiesel 4x4.
I think a chipmunk moved into a C350 project I'm doing.

In an Oregon national Forest in the RV, in '22. A piece of pex pipe in a stabbing motion down into the engine on the driver side is what finally got them out. Starting it and blowing the horn did nothing. I immediately left, a day sooner than I planned, so they wouldn't have a chance to come back.

You must be registered for see images attach

Engine bay insulation they were nesting with up front in a weird boxed area in the front body that goes straight down, near the driver side headlight.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I've read from plenty of other members about mice issues in their trucks; you seem to be ahead of the curve. A cat sounds like a good idea. Your travails make mine pale in comparison. Last weekend I had time to get back working on the ac after leaving the truck sit for several days. Windows and doors were closed. Once I opened the passenger door; I was met by at least 20 hungry mosquitoes intent on having breakfast. It's not like I have a stagnant pond for a back seat. :***:
All in all; I'd be more concerned if I was faced with your situation and the damage they could cause. My outside cat does a pretty good job of keeping the critter population at bay.

I hate cats, actually. They're practically vermin themselves, as far as I'm concerned. Disgusting and vicious creatures. If the one I saw will keep mice away, fine. But I want nothing to do with having one.

Last camp I left two days ago, it had deer flies fairly bad. That's what was chomping on me and Lucy when outside. I was there 6 nights and never heard a mouse. The first night here, didn't either. The dog biscuits got moved to the spot on the passenger seat where they were chewed into after I got here.

So it definitely seems like I got mice here at this RV park, which is possible; it's out in the country with rotting RVs to the side that the owner dragged over there years ago that people abandoned. perfect places for mice.

But again, I was here for 4 months, for the last two summers, and had no mice at all while here. Something about THIS van is attracting them, it seems like.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If that peppermint oil that @divemaster5734 mentioned does the trick, I'd go that route. Better than having another mouth to feed, especially since you're not fond of cats.
:Thumbs Up

The traps are very effective, and thankfully only cost around 50-60 cents each. But yes, I will look into that too. I just bought 10 more traps on my way back to Utah from Oregon about 10 days ago, so I have plenty.

Just got out of bed, after the last two replies, and the two traps I set at 3am are still set, with peanut butter still on them, so I guess it was just the two.

That was one worry I had during the first time, I was worried that I might be baiting them to come over, by placing traps outside, but eventually they ceased despite traps being just under the hood on the radiator support.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In an Oregon national Forest in the RV, in '22. A piece of pex pipe in a stabbing motion down into the engine on the driver side is what finally got them out. Starting it and blowing the horn did nothing. I immediately left, a day sooner than I planned, so they wouldn't have a chance to come back.

Engine bay insulation they were nesting with up front in a weird boxed area in the front body that goes straight down, near the driver side headlight.

But there is so cute. :angel:

Goat

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps spraying the tires with the oil would keep them from getting near the truck once you've eradicated the ones who are still inside.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Perhaps spraying the tires with the oil would keep them from getting near the truck once you've eradicated the ones who are still inside.

Logically one might think it's all same family that started in SE Idaho, but the dead silence and no evidence for 7-14 day periods after traps stop catching, then moving to a new place and getting mice again within 2 days, leads me to believe it's not a single family.

And it's not that every new place has mice. It's more like every other place. But of course every place has the opportunity for them, national forests, or a rural RV park like here. The last place before here seemed like a good place to get them, but it was dead silence at night. So, I don't think I got them there. Plus, first night here was too. Second (last) night I heard them again and they definitely freshly chewed into the dog biscuits

I'll set some traps under the hood also today, as well as keep some set inside.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't already, consider storing food in sealable containers to prevent them any access. Not quite as gnarly as a bear canister like for backpacking, those black and yellow home depot bins should suffice.

I use Payday candy in my traps, super sticky and just as enticing as peanut butter. Gets them pretty fast in my experience.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If you don't already, consider storing food in sealable containers to prevent them any access. Not quite as gnarly as a bear canister like for backpacking, those black and yellow home depot bins should suffice.

I use Payday candy in my traps, super sticky and just as enticing as peanut butter. Gets them pretty fast in my experience.

When the first bunch of mice showed up, I bought two clear plastic totes for storing bread, chips, etc in.

I always have peanut butter around and it works fast too. First mouse last night was caught in about 10 minutes.

Dog food is in one of these. I just didn't expect more freaking mice here at the RV park, so I didn't bother trying to protect the new dog biscuits.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...The Girl and I are temporarily living in a cottage until we finish the house...small, with a walk-out basement...

She has a wooden workbench in the basement and one day I am getting some laundry and I smell some nasty-reeking stuff...and I look...and see a..what looks to be some black sh...tuff...and some white sht...tuff...and some *****-smelling splash of liquid all over her workbench.

There was this black....gel....that was enough to half-fill a coffee cup...!!!

And it STUNK....

I looked up to see if the upstairs bathroom plumbing was leaking...no...the pipes were nowhere near the area...unless some monkey was tossing...you-know-what...

There WAS the duct work for the HVAC up there, though...

The Girl is scratching her head and puzzling about it and the realization slowly comes over me...

WE GOT A MASSIVE SNAKE IN OUR BASEMENT...!!!

JEEZZ...!!!!

Hmm....no wonder we have not been catching any mice, lately...

So...Dear Oilburner Friends....gotta ask...

Have you thought about bringing some pet snakes aboard...??

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
A mouse finally decided not to commit suicide. It's stuck in jail until tomorrow now though. I put the trap in the bug, so i don't have to listen to metal chewing all night.

Did find a dead one in the trap under the hood though. I removed it and put two fresh traps. I still have a snap trap near where the metal trap was.

So, I'm up to 3 mice already this time.

edit next morning: make that 4. the metal trap caught another in the bug. i wonder if that's where they actually live, in the backseat area of the bug. I may have to keep the metal trap baited in the bug and see what happens.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1wonton

Members online