Can our IDIs use a Powerstroke tach?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My van doesn't have a tach. It looks as if it should be pretty straightforward to stick an f350 instrument cluster in there, but the ones I'm finding on fleabay say '92-'97, which likely means powersmoke. If I do wind up with a powerstroke tach, will it work right with the signal coming from the IDI engine?

My plan is that I'll get an f350 cluster, insert the PSOM from the van, adapt the two outer connectors if the pickup and van EVTMs indicate different pinouts, and that should be all it takes!

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, in that range, could be either engine. If I could find a '92 or '93, then I'd know for sure, but so far haven't spotted one.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm just grabbing for straws here, but my guess is that the PSD tach is computer operated. They do have a cam position sensor so it makes sense to me that the signal goes to the computer and then the tach gets it's signal from there.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get a picture of the part number on the existing cluster, but it's not the one I want anyway.

Anyone know what's the right pn for a '92-'94 IDI f350 cluster?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going off memory here but any powerstroke clusters with a tach will say turbo diesel under the tach

KansasIDI

I hate printers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option would be a programmable aftermarket tach. Isspro makes them in 3-3/8 size, but not in the easy-to-mount 2-1/16 size.
Isspro gauges, old Ford trucks, Tekton and Milwaukee tools, Parker fittings, and Hypermax performance parts will keep me broke forever :joker:

Last edited:

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Isspro, theirs can be programmed to take a pretty wide range of inputs, so they probably could work off the alternator, too. My van has the usual IDI tach sensor on the gear housing, and the signal comes into the cab for the PCM, so it would be easy to tap into that, and the shiny new Isspro 0-4000rpm gauge is cheaper than an old used instrument cluster.

The difficulty is going to be finding a reasonable way to mount it, because they only make it in the larger size. I was thinking about using a 3-gauge A pillar mount, but those are only made for the 2-1/16 size gauges. Same for the overhead 3 gauge clusters. I really don't want to put the tach in a single pod on the dash.

I'm starting to think about building an overhead console, but not sure how I'd mount it. Finish work is NOT my strong point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emsbau

Members online