C6 Detent Question

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a C6 that I rebuilt via U Tube University, and didn't have park.
Took a picture of the NSS, which shows the selector pointing at the middle sharpie mark.
You must be registered for see images attach

The mark on the left is Park, middle is Rev, and left is Neutral as determined with a meter.
With the gear selector in Park the transmission was actually in reverse.

I thought it was something I screwed up in the valve body when installing a stage 1 shift kit for diesel engines.
Got the pan and valve body off expecting to have full range on the detent, but that was not the case.
I notice the detent was not on the last notch and tried to adjust the position.

It's hard to see, but the detent is on the 2nd to last notch.
Was able to get a 22mm box end around the throttle and onto the shifter nut.

I was able to get the detent and shifter to line up with the NSS positions that count.
Was pretty damn smug about it until I realized I didn't have 1st or 2nd range on the detent operation anymore.
Going back and forth in the settings I thought I found a happy middle ground that only excluded 1st gear, and then realized I had no idea how tight the park rod fits into the back of the case to activate the pawl.

The cone isn't tight into the pawl spring.
Before dropping the pan I did start the engine, allowed ATF to circulate for a few minutes, then gave it some throttle.
It should be noted that in order to start the engine I had to pull the NSS and set it to park laying on the floor as I couldn't hit the P position on the NSS, not realizing the NSS was accurate no matter how far out of adjustment the linkage was.
When it started to reverse with throttle when the selector was in park I stopped, the moved one notch, got neutral, and another notch got it to drive, and I moved it back the 6" and shut it down.
My questions- is there a minimum pressure required for the park rod to the pawl for park to work?
And- If I set it up without 1st gear available on the gear selector will it have any effect other than not being able to select 1st gear if desired?
The transmission is still installed, and I'm hoping to make whatever adjustments are necessary without having to pull it, as I've already installed the driveshaft's with new u joints and greased.
I've spent a few hours searching the web and haven't found anything on this adjustment.
Thanks

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering why the neutral switch is not bolted to the case..?

Something is not quite right...and I would like to help you...but I can't get past that...and the fact that I have to turn my monitor 090* to see what the heck is going on...

One other thing...the detent spring bolted to the case...for the rooster comb...is it straight...or did it somehow get a curve in it..?

On the park thing...the rod and/or the bulge in the rod needs to be spring loaded...so when some operator want to prove a point by tossing it up into park while moving...it will only ratchet until you are stopped...or close to stopping...

One other thing...and it may or may not be related...I am itching to put my finger on your band strut...and check the clearance...

I gotta get to work...