92 7.3 Driveshaft keeps sliding back out of carrier bearing

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also photo of the ******* in question, because maybe that's relevant.
Well...it's not because of the presence of running boards....

We can rule that out...

Existing photo is from the passenger side of rear driveshaft carrier bearing showing it pushed backwards out of the carrier

I have never, ever seen that before...but...I was not in an area that a lot of truck modifications were running around on the streets...at least not that I noticed...

some info from the fordforum.com decoder

Can you find the build sheet..? Under one of the seats or in the glove box..?

Just thinking out loud...but...what do your engine mounts look like..?

And...have you looked at what is holding the rear axle in place...?

One other thing comes to mind...when the front part of the driveshaft is installed normally...does the slip yoke have any clearance to slide forward and backward or is it butted up against the TFC output shaft...?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In '92, would they still have had some stock of the old-style C6 indicators? Or would they have been using the newer style for everything? This is Ford, after all.

If the truck came with the e4od, it would have an OD off button, either on the end of the shift lever or on the dash. How 'bout it, popcaps? Is there a button?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The e4od will only have a D with a circle, 2,1. Regular D is in the OD position with the od off button on shifter depressed. Which from the picture the OP shows that the truck was originally an e4od.

AH...HAH....!!!

I THOUGHT that it was kind of unusual for a post-1989 truck to have anything other than an E4OD....

How 'bout it, popcaps? Is there a button?

with the OD off button selected in this truck,

Everybody loves a mystery to solve...

Last edited:

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing I noticed is that the 1356 has a hole in the tail housing for a speedometer cable. In a 92 truck the speedo should be read off the rear diff, so there should be no hole here. If the 1356 isn’t original, does anyone know if they came with different tailshaft lengths? Maybe this one is too short. Also I would cover that hole to keep debris/bugs out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given the speedometer cable hole I am going to say that t-case is from a bricknose.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeshmoe72

Members online