bad glow plugs or relay?

90f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a dvom yes..multimeter...i ordered all 8 dz-9 motorcraft plugs...$100 but if it fixes it its fine with mei belive that my wire harness may be a problem too..i took off one gp wire to test the plug and had some white plastic or porcelain maybe come offf of the wire..i thought maybe the top of the gp had porcelain but further looking i found out it doesn't..lol..ooo my truck can nnevdr be easy

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a dvom yes..multimeter...i ordered all 8 dz-9 motorcraft plugs...$100 but if it fixes it its fine with mei belive that my wire harness may be a problem too..i took off one gp wire to test the plug and had some white plastic or porcelain maybe come offf of the wire..i thought maybe the top of the gp had porcelain but further looking i found out it doesn't..lol..ooo my truck can nnevdr be easy

HAHAHA!!! You're tellin' me. I don't know whether to sell mine or drive it off a cliff! I think you made the right decision especially if you are unsure of the age/brand of the previous plugs. I can't comment on the broken internals of the plug although I have read at least one thread a while back about someone who had a similar issue. Start with the glow plugs and see what happens. Good luck. Let us know.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's insulation from the glowplug connector. You can cut them off and replace with blue female bullet connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's insulation from the glowplug connector. You can cut them off and replace with blue female bullet connectors.

That's exactly what i was thinking..i was going to ask if they were essentially just bullet connectors because i can make my own harness for under $10 instead of paying $150 on ebay...good to know! I won't be able to figure out if the glow plugs help until friday afternoon due to time but i will post the results when i get them done...thank you everyone for your help so far!

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is all very good advice! Between the ohmmeter and the test light, you'll figure out which GP is the weak link (if that is the problem of course)

But I have to tell you, I have worked on too many GPs on diesels that the owner (or business savvy garage mechanic) thought that some cheapies would be good enough that I get the heebie jeebies when I have to replace them. Too many times I had plugs so swollen they could have plugged a **** (reference to a child's story for those who were puzzled) and I ended up with a LOT of work. So when I have my own to replace initially I still cringe. My brother is the type to use Autolites and on my old 86 SCLB more of those plugs decided to divorce their tops. Uggh.

This isn't to scare you but to just let you know that if you have a plug break, these forums and the experienced people here will be glad to offer more advice than you could want.
Kinda like I am right now :popcorn

90f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i planned on breaking them all loose and spraying pb blaster on them before going any further...unless the local supply shop has that kroil stuff...I've been reading up on these glowplugs..lol..once again thanks everyone for your help so far

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I had built my own gp harness using amp power wire.
Maybe 8-10 gauge.

Be best to solder it.

Just remember, once you step up the wire size, supposedly you can't use the factory controller.
Since the original wire was size using a certain resistance.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a GP harness from U-haul tech center, if you want a new one, it's for an IH truck 7.3 IDI, just has an extra couple of wires in it which can be pulled out, I've got 3 or 4 left. But get your's from there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1807648C94-...ric_Vehicle_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item2589ae294c

If you want to make your own harness, you need the bullet connectors, 16/14 to 12/10 crimp, there blue. Use 14 Ga wire 21 strands.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ that's probably a better deal.
By the time you get wire and the bullet connectors, etc, may be about the same price.

I built mine with stuff I had laying around, but still paid like $15 to get enough bullet connectors.

90f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i got 7/8 done..the last one is..u guessed it..behind and beneath the turbo...sobfarsame thing..2 second cycle time...also my turbo is leaking a boat load of oil and has sone shaft play...ugh...probly gonna be n/a here soon while i rebuild the turbo..regardless i can't get to the final glow plug with the turbo there so its got to come off anyway ...any suggestions?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i got 7/8 done..the last one is..u guessed it..behind and beneath the turbo...sobfarsame thing..2 second cycle time...also my turbo is leaking a boat load of oil and has sone shaft play...ugh...probly gonna be n/a here soon while i rebuild the turbo..regardless i can't get to the final glow plug with the turbo there so its got to come off anyway ...any suggestions?

1/4" drive ratchet, extension, elbow joint, another extension. Patience. I removed nothing.

I think I fed the ratchet head down through the turbo housing from the driver side, but I know I worked it from a couple angles to get it.

*I'm lying. I removed my air intake.

90f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually jjust got it done..took my rear 2 injector hardlines and returns off my injectors, pulled the wire off with a pair of needle nose pliers, SOMEHOW got it broke loose with a 3/8" open end wrench, then got about a foot long piece of fuel hose, hose clamped it to my 3/8" extensions and twisted it right out, took almost an hour or more to do just. that one plug...ugh..but its done..and same results, starts faster but cycle time id still about 2 seconds instead of the 10-15 and still no wait to start ligjt, and yes i made sure the wires are all hooked up, so probly going to parts store to get a controller now

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually jjust got it done..took my rear 2 injector hardlines and returns off my injectors, pulled the wire off with a pair of needle nose pliers, SOMEHOW got it broke loose with a 3/8" open end wrench, then got about a foot long piece of fuel hose, hose clamped it to my 3/8" extensions and twisted it right out, took almost an hour or more to do just. that one plug...ugh..but its done..and same results, starts faster but cycle time id still about 2 seconds instead of the 10-15 and still no wait to start ligjt, and yes i made sure the wires are all hooked up, so probly going to parts store to get a controller now

AHHhhhh yes! The twisted hose trick! I did use that to get that last plug out! Nicely done. Sounds like you found the same rabbit hole I did.... it's deep.