94 idit idles rough when warm

Datjosh

Reaction score
Hellos everyone, I’m having issue with my 1994 7.3 idi factory turbo. It seems to start fine both cold and hot, however when it’s warm or hot the idle gets a little rough and while driving it’s a little shaky at low rooms to maybe 1300 rpms and clears up above. Idle is almost perfect when when I first start up and it’s cold. I have a slight haze at idle when cold but it will progressively get worse when it gets hot to the point it will create a cloud of haze. It smokes at throttle between a whitish blue haze and heavy throttle kinda grey to black smoke. I’ve made sure I don’t have any fuel leaks and cracked all injectors which all sound pretty consistent in changing the idle. When cold it feels like it has a bit more power then hot.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Do you know how many miles are on the injection pump? They don't last forever and can do strange things as they wear out.

And injection pump timing, do you know where it's set at?

I would start with these 2 things.

Datjosh

Reaction score
Do you know how many miles are on the injection pump? They don't last forever and can do strange things as they wear out.

So when I bought the truck 3-4 years ago from my dads friend who is a diesel mechanic and the original owner claimed he got it rebuilt at a local shop in New Orleans along with the injectors. I couldn’t tell you how many miles I put on it since then cause the odometer was unclear but now it’s fixed if I was to take a guess anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000 miles. Before I bought the truck it has sat after having engine rebuilt and pump and injectors for 3-4 years.

Datjosh

Reaction score

I bought the truck about 3 years ago and my dads friend who’s a diesel mechanic and original owner had a local shop in New Orleans rebuild the pump and injectors after he rebuilt the engine after it overheated. The odometer was messed up now it’s fixed but I’d say I put maybe 10,000-20,000 miles on it since then.
I was thinking about buying the gunson or sealey timing light adapters with a innova timing light to make sure the timing is where it needs to be I guess that will be the next step I take.
Sorry I meant to edit the above post but accidently made a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylegordon067

Members online

No members online now.