2wd front ibeam axel swap question. NOT 4WD*

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
F
Interesting. I wrecked out an '88 f250 diesel 2wd with balljoints. My point is the newer stuff could probably be swapped in and have easier alignment potential. Go to 95-97, there's better brakes too.
F had ball joints, E had king pin until 1992 when the next generation started with ball joints

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think you have problems now getting a alignment on a twin-I-beam, wait and see if you find a solid front axle. To get those aligned the shop has to take chains and a hydraulic jack and bend the axle to get those in alignment if they have king pins.
I'm convinced from my observation that twin I beam is designed to cup tires, especially the right front. But who cares "it rides like a car, and works like a truck.....do doot do.......Ford the better idea".

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Here's a free I-beam setup from a motorhome.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you replaced pivot end bushings or checked them for wear?

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twin I-Beams are aligned exactly the same way as straight I-Beam suspensions. You have to bend the I-beam to adjust camber and to some degree caster. Because of this, no automotive tire shop will be able to adjust an out-of-alignment condition beyond toe on these trucks. Take your truck to an alignment shop that specializes in heavy trucks and RV's, as they have plenty of experience with straight I-beams. You will also likely have to replace all the rubber bushings to get it to align properly.

Cainon,
I am not sure which Smithfield you are located in, but if it is Virginia, I would be calling Excel Truck in Chesapeake. Chances are they can align it.

https://www.exceltruckgroup.com/services-offered/

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had tire wear problems when mine was still 2wd. Everything was stock and well maintained. Only real complaint was how difficult it was to replace the kingpins.

I will say that most shops had no clue how to align them though. So I had to check and adjust everything myself.

The trick is have all 4 tires on flat, smooth ground, then roll the truck forward about 4 feet and gently apply the E-brake. This puts the front axle in the most neutral position where you can take the best measurements. If you make any toe adjustments while on jack stands, it won't be as accurate.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had tire wear problems when mine was still 2wd. Everything was stock and well maintained. Only real complaint was how difficult it was to replace the kingpins.

I will say that most shops had no clue how to align them though. So I had to check and adjust everything myself.

The trick is have all 4 tires on flat, smooth ground, then roll the truck forward about 4 feet and gently apply the E-brake. This puts the front axle in the most neutral position where you can take the best measurements. If you make any toe adjustments while on jack stands, it won't be as accurate.
Yep. And when you make an adjustment, you can't use your tape measure unless you have the tires sitting on roller plates. So you just have to make an adjustment a certain portion of a turn on the adjuster, tighten it up, then back up and move forward and then measure it again.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I wrecked out an '88 f250 diesel 2wd with balljoints. My point is the newer stuff could probably be swapped in and have easier alignment potential. Go to 95-97, there's better brakes too.
That's what I was thinking. Would a 95 fit?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Would a 95 fit?
I can't say for sure. However, the body style of the vans and trucks didn't change for '95. On a 4wd, I know you can swap the knuckle, rotor, and caliper to accomplish the upgrade.

You should try it and report back with results. :sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online

No members online now.