1990 crew cab front seat options

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I went and looked at a very nice 1990 CrewCab and am really on the fence about purchasing it. No 34 year old truck in my price range is going to be perfect but one wrinkle that concerns me is the front seats. The original owner, not the current owner, installed bucket seats using the the original seat bracket that supported a bench seat, and for some reason the guy welded the seat adjustment into position so the seat cannot slide forwards or backwards. Now the leg room is actually OK the way it is but I'm sitting up so high that the rearview mirror obstructs my view, I'm almost looking out the tinted portion of the windshield, and my head is only an inch or so below the roof. I've never sat in a crewcab that was just stock/unmodified so I have nothing to compare to. My SuperCab with buckets feels very different and the rearview never seemed to be in the way.

Are there aftermarket bracket options that won't break the bank? Would a used 40/20/40 bracket(part#F4TS1561756AE) allow me to then just bolt on some bucket seats? I'm sure with some time and patience I can find a used bench and brackets out of a regular cab or another crewcab but I'm trying to figure out the extent of my options and which are the most realistic. Mostly I need a seat option that sits a bit lower than the current configuration. The buckets are in great condition and very firm foam so I would hope to be able to use them somehow.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
What about cutting the welds? Or putting whatever seats you want into it?
My cclb has dodge spirit seats in it, sliders work and everything. They're super comfortable. Found it at a wrecker where someone else already did the fab work.

I wouldn't let the seats be the dealbreaker for buying a good truck.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not just the seats. I'm not sure if I want an automatic because it just doesn't feel the same as taking off in 1st gear and the engine braking going downhill just isn't there even when shifted into 1st. Finding seats has been the most difficult aspect of my current truck so I'm a little hesitant to get into another vehicle knowing from the outset that the seat is an issue. Of course all problems are basically a question of money and effort but I was just trying to figure out the options that don't need custom fab work. I know a great welder who is very creative and one of my clients is a very good machinist so I'm sure I can rally the resources to make something happen--I'm just friggin' busy and tired at the moment.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Then summarize it this way. Do you like the truck? Imagine it with a sofa for a drivers seat and a big ol shifter stick. See yourself behind it? Make the sale or dont then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
echosmith88

Members online