Engine knock after glow plug replacement.

cheddarbob03

Reaction score
I just talked with the local injection shop and it's only a few dollars a piece to pop test the injectors. Definitely worth the $40 to narrow things down.

cheddarbob03

Reaction score
$2 per inj. to pop test. Nothing conclusive. Worn out but not bad. Decide eff it and pull the heads to find the issue. I pull the BRAND NEW GLOW PLUGS out and low and behold the effin new glow plugs tip is gone! Yay! I conclusively found the problem! FML theres a piece of GP embedded in the piston. Dam. Gonna talk to a machine shop in the morning and see what he advises. By the way they were Diesel Dr. GP's. I think the next new set will be zd-9's.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not sure but did you actually pull a head or both heads and found a tip stuck in a piston? Glad you found the noise and its an easy repair. Please post a pic if you can. Your piston may be saveable. Remember they are 560 to 580 thousands thick in the center. And they get substantially thicker out from there.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While some people have had good luck with the Diesel Rx glowplugs (which are made by Wellman BTW), I did not. I tried them a few years ago and after the first cycle one of the them swelled and burned out. I was barely able to get the plug out. Never again! Beru only!

cheddarbob03

Reaction score
Yeah I pulled the passenger side head. Found the tip in #5 piston. It's been raining so I haven't messed with much yet but the piston should be fine. I'm going to pull the other side too and clean it all up with new gaskets and stem seals etc.