WMO questions. filters, mixing, etc???

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
going to pick up about 50 gallons of wmo today.

FILTERING:

im going to build some sort of filtering device using a transfer pump to pump it threw various filters and into a clean 55 gallon drum. how fine do i need to filter it? do i need any kind of special filters? part numbers would be awesome!

MIXING:

im going to use the rear fuel tank as the wmo tank and the front tank for straight diesel. start up and shut down on straight diesel, and run on about a 50/50 mix? would that be too thick? whats the thickest i could mix it in the summer and winter time?

am i missing anything? with diesel at $3.89 a gallon im hoping to save a little money running on this.

ANY ADVICE AND OPINIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS IN ADVANCE! ;Sweet

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as far as the filtering goes get a 20 micron water filter then a goldenrod filter and last a 1 micron water filter. ace hardware stores seem to be the cheapest for the water filters. i use a barrel pump to pump the oil though the filter. also get new fuel filter for a spare one just in case. my truck fires up on a 30%wmo and 70% fuel. it starts like theres no wmo in it but at 5050 it doesnt like to start without a starting fluild. all trucks are differant so i would try a 30% blend for start up and see how it does then work your way up. also you might wont to think about adding a pre fuel filter before the main filter

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
how does it run on 50/50? im going to start up and shut off on straight diesel so no worries about starting. once started ill swap it over to the 50/50 mix. was hoping to go with a thicker mix like 30% diesel and 70% wmo but not sure if that would be too thick or not.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it runs fine on 50/50 hell it runs fine on 100% wmo but to fire up on 100% wmo it needed starting fluid and ran it ran like **** for the first couple minutes until it was some what warmed up then it was fine. no i didnt plan on burning a 100% wmo for start up my rear tank has fuel in it for start up and shut down but it stoped working the same day that i had filled the front tank with wmo.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Mine starts fine on 90% WMO. I don't do that on purpose but have forgot to purge to the front tank before and started it that way in the morning. Come winter will be different I'm sure.

As for filtering, centrifuge all the way. I had a mess to clean up today where I got some large particulate stuck in my lines prepump. I ended up draining my barrel and cleaning the barrel. I then filtered the oil thru some near new 10 and 5 micron filters. I got thru 15 gallons before they clogged....:mad:
Point is, if your oil is dirty I don't see how guys make it on filters. These filters were toast with less than 20 gallons and it was mixed with diesel and kerosene!
Get a centrifuge. I'm confident in the long run it will pay off for you.

wmoguy

Reaction score
thats what i am going to get. i am puting my wmo burning on hold

Cool. Keep me up to date on how that faucet pump holds up to the heavy WMO. Consensus has been it doesn't like it. I have on sitting on the shelf I'd like to install but hesitant.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Here's why you want a fugue. These disturbing photos taken 5 minutes ago after 1st pass on 55 gallons of my WMO cocktail.

That sludge oozing of the fuge base had the it completely filled up after only 1 pass/55 gallons. That sludge is as thick as wet sand and requires engine degreaser spray to remove it. I'd imagine this oil would clog any filter set for good before 50 gallons. Makes using filters a spendy proposition to a cheap fuel source IMO.

Attachments

• IMG-20110723-00020-1.jpg
    IMG-20110723-00020-1.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 29

wmoguy

Reaction score
Photo 2. This sludge is so hard and thick you can't scratch it out with your fingernail. Again this is taken minutes ago on 55 gallons filtered 1st pass. This oil will see 6 more passes until I will run it.

Attachments

• IMG-20110723-00021-1.jpg
    IMG-20110723-00021-1.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 22

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
How much does a centrifugue system normally run? Where's the cheapest place to buy one?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Here's the same oil 1 hour later (now) with another complete pass of 55 gallons. I still got a good 4-5 oz of contaminants out this time.

Attachments

• IMG-20110723-00022-1.jpg
    IMG-20110723-00022-1.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 24

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Keep me up to date on how that faucet pump holds up to the heavy WMO. Consensus has been it doesn't like it. I have on sitting on the shelf I'd like to install but hesitant.

it died after 150 miles on wmo

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Workin on getting a pyro this week then gonna try out the WMO once I get the pyro installed. I'm gonna just do normal house/water filters for now to see how I like it. If I like how it runs on the WMO, then I will invest in a centrifuge. Thanks for the advice!

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what micron rating filters are you going to use? also keep a spare fuel filter with you