What do you need from an F-Superduty to do hydroboost?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found one of these in the junkyard as well guys, don't know if it still has what is needed or what the owner would charge. How big of a PITA is the job? Thanks
JD

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need booster itself, master cylinder, pressure lines, PS pump reservoir (or whole pump if you so wish), and possibly the brake pedal assembly. It may be possible to get around the pedal swap as the linkage only binds with one cab style (I can never remember if it was the '80-'91 or the '92-'96 that have that issue), or by tilting the whole hydroboost and master cylinder assembly back some to aim the pushrod straight at the pedal's pin.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks, my truck is an 86 so IDK if the pedal swap would have to happen. It probably would be a no go in that case as I have a custom mechanical clutch setup on my truck. None of the rest of it sounds too awful.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need any help putting it in give me hollar. Their not to bad to install. I have a couple different pedal assemblies if you need one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your biggest issue will be the peddle assembly because you have a standard trans. Otherwise its a bolt in easy job. You will need the complete brake and clutch peddle assembly off the donor truck....

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would like to see some pics of the mechanical clutch linkage! Not that I would do it, but I remember the good ol' days when we had those. I do prefer the hydraulic (difficult as they may be to bleed) better. I'm thinking if you can't swap your brake pedal, you may have to move the pin on it.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt use the stock assembly from the truck my booster came out of. Just put it in and bolted it up. Is it because of the body style he has?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JD tends to float the gears once hes moving

His setups pretty interesting, it would take me awhile to get use to it for sure.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt use the stock assembly from the truck my booster came out of. Just put it in and bolted it up. Is it because of the body style he has?
You have a '90, the pedal brackets and stuff changed in '92 IIRC, so if it works for you it should work for JD as a bolt-in as well. Then again Gary has an '89 that is the same setup as yours and JD's, and he swapped pedals... I dunno, but you can always do like me and stack a few washers between the booster and the firewall on the bottom set of studs, this will tilt the whole booster back and make the rod sit more straight without having to move the pedal pin higher. Your brake pedal will sit about 1/2" lower, but most folks complain how high the pedal is anyways. If studs in the hydroboost ain't long enough then punch them out and use 3/8" Grade-8 bolts with nuts on the other side, this is how I did mine cause the Chevy pushrod was so much longer than the Ford one.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the '80-'86 and the '87-'91 pedal assemblies are different. Haven't seen the two different setups with my own eyes, but that's what I've read and been told a number of times. You might be able to take the brick-nose brake pedal and put it into an '80-'86 bracket, but I don't know either way...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may very well be, since that you mentioned it I do seem to recall my buddy's '86 looking different under the dash from my bricknose... I'd say JD should just try it with his factory pedals, and then modify and/or replace parts as needed.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 80-86 pedal assy is different from the 87-91, My priority from there is the brownie, I don't know if I can swing anything else financially at the moment.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check and see what they want for the hydro unit. Mines leaking and Id like to replace it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80-86 pedal bracket assys are different from the 87-91....BUT...the brake pedals are the same. YOU NEED THE F450 PEDAL TO MAKE IT ALL WORK RIGHT.