well this will divide the men from the boys

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they seem pretty adamant about just giving me my money back and calling it even, I'm going to see what it takes to get them to fix it. I kinda really want headers on this thing. I ran a set on an old farm truck years ago and its night and day. Besides I just cut the old system off the thing, I can't imagine having to put it all back on the same way.

something tells me once I get this thing back to them the error will become self evident

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The oil cooler headers are differant between the trucks and vans. Neither will fit the other. The bundles are the same. The exhaust manifolds are differant from the thrucks to the vans ONLY on the drivers side. The passenger sides are the same. The truck drivers side sweeps up out of the head and the passenger side sweeps down out of the head. As posted... The van headers will bolt up to any idi block. They just wont fit a van in a truck. BTW one of the van headers only has three bolts holding it to the block. I think its the front header...:sly Could you place a dent in the header pipes to gain clearance or would that be too large and cause a restriction...

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Voids the warranty to sledge hammer the header and I've been thinking all along that these guys sent me van headers instead of truck headers. I just assume they send me the right one. I had the thing on there mostly bolted up tight and no, it doesn't fit.

Not sure why they are so resistive to the idea that they screwed up but its getting more and more obvious they did. From what I'm hearing the van brackets won't fit the truck, and that I"ve got the right component from the factory on the vehicle. These guys claim to have produced hundreds of headers off that same jig and everyone fit fine. OK then you must have used the wrong jig, is my only guess at this point.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK peeps once again you've proved yourselves invaluable. I checked and I definitely have the truck brackets, so truck with truck brackets = they sent me the wrong headers. Now lets see if they feel like sending the right ones.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I don't see why they don't just take it back - check the problem & make it right.Its pretty hard to mount a header tight to a head and have it wind up in a different location then anoyher identical one. I don't see why they don't want to just check it at thier own shop. Maybe the force needs to email them or call to persuade them to get it right.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
E-mail sent -reads as follows,maybe this will help.I hope you don't mind me interfering.

We have a member of our group that purchased a set of headers for an IDI 7.3 Ford deisel (not a powerstroke). He is having a fit problem and really wants your headers on his truck. As we understand it your company told him to ship them back for a refund,while he desires to have you check them for proper fit & send him a set that will work shipped back.

This doesn't seem to e a good customer service attitude. Here is a link to his post in our forum.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50273

I am sure you would want to satisfy your customer as word of mouth is the best advertisment of good customer service.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they seem pretty adamant about just giving me my money back and calling it even, I'm going to see what it takes to get them to fix it. I kinda really want headers on this thing. I ran a set on an old farm truck years ago and its night and day. Besides I just cut the old system off the thing, I can't imagine having to put it all back on the same way.

something tells me once I get this thing back to them the error will become self evident

you had these on an idi before, details please:thumbsup:.. i've been trying to get details for months from somebody ho has them. i want them for my truck, just dont know if it's worth the 600.00. how did they improve power and did they lower the egts, how did it sound:sly.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you had these on an idi before, details please:thumbsup:.. i've been trying to get details for months from somebody ho has them. i want them for my truck, just dont know if it's worth the 600.00. how did they improve power and did they lower the egts, how did it sound:sly.

Me too!!:love:

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a picture of them on Stan's site. I didn't have an diesel, just an old POS farm truck, when I put headers on it and a descent exhaust system that thing came back to life like a champ. Ran like a bat out of hell actually.

my theory on this truck was again to lower the back-pressure rather than raise the head pressure, if you know what I mean. Should mean a descent gain in performance without an excess strain being put on an older engine.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THERE IS NO PROBLEM ON YOUR END!!! You have a stock f-series oil cooler, no if's, and's, or but's. Just because they haven't had a problem before, doesn't mean they don't now! This isn't looking too good for Stan's Header's. If they don't make it right......... put'em the "Hall of Shame."

Heath

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well lets give them a chance, but don't get me wrong, its annoying as all hell, and I come to the same conclusion, its a fully stock motor. Same headers that fit every other one of these are bound to fit this one. So must just have the wrong headers. Seriously screws up some of my plans to be delayed like this but who knows, maybe in the end I'll have a set of headers. I won't be genuinely pissed off till it starts screwing with my vacation. Which I need the truck for.

I was kinda surprised they didn't come on and post based on that Email. So far not a word, which is a little disconcerting but patience. Its not over, till the fat motor sings.

Last edited:

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been wanting a set of headers for mine... As far as I know, Stan's is the only header company that makes them for our motors and if Stan's doesn't fix the problem, then I'm more inclined to fab my own... :sly

It would be a real hassle, but having to deal with another company who doesn't want to make things good would be an even bigger hassle... Ahh, maybe I'll just go ahead and make my own... ;Really

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well since Stan's have got my balls in a vice and since I've not gotten the part back to them yet I think its probably best if we all just chill for the weeks its going to take to get the F$%&*#(G thing back to them so they can figure out what they did wrong. My best shot at getting any form of satisfaction is to simply hang on till my work schedule allows me the time to mail a bloody package. F(&%E(#g not happy at the moment but I've got no choice but to bite my tongue and wait and see what happens. Meanwhile not only is my lumber run out of the question now, costing me hundred of $ in shipping costs but I'm starting to wonder if I don't need to make other arrangements for my vacation, like buy another vehicle, :mad:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wel you guys gotta consider the companys point but lots of them get idiots every day calling and they put them on upside down or not on the correct side or they ordered for a 350 sbc but they car has a 400bbc and they dont know why they dont fit
you got to consider modern america is stupid and companys get a lot of bs coming their way because of the customer not having the knolege