Spinning Hub Stud

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had three wallered out stud holes on my van. I smeared JBWeld on the three new studs, jammed them into the holes, centered them as best I could, used lug nuts to hold'em and wax paper to keep from epoxying the nuts in place.

It works.

The studs have a big flange that bears on the hub flange, so all the epoxy has to do is keep it from spinning while you torque the lug nut. You have the full clamping force and full strength once you've torqued it.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to find a new lug stud with a larger diameter knurled section.

James

DougBoy66

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Can I re-seat the stud by using some kind of puller
Not sure if this is going to post correctly. Phones being weird. But, if the picture comes through, I have had some luck moving/removing things with this type set up. I already had the slide hammer and one of the attachments threaded right into a pair of visegrips I already had. You may be able to get the stud to set if it's not stripped

12pilgrim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a refurbished hub for the rear on ebay, not that hard to replace if you can't work an easier fix:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Bring it to a welder. Bring new stud deep socket and something to turn it with. Have welder cut off stud and nut, remove wheel and drum, install stud pull in tight with lug nut reversed. If hole in hub is shot have welder weld stud to hub with 7018 rod. Done. Hub is steel not cast iron. Or buy new expensive hub.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Sterling axles are common as mud, you can probably find a hub in your back yard, or a junkyard. For my Dana 70 it took long enough to find a hub and get it shipped that by the time it arrived, I was already satisfied with the epoxy treatment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emsbau

Members online