So what did you do with your truck today?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I sure read your first post wrong. I thought that the blow by stops when the engine gets warm and then starts again when it cools off. I didn't read it as the engine stops running.cookoo
It sounds to me like, somehow, the FSS power wire got switched around with the timing advance wire. If that happens, the FSS will lose power when the fast idle shuts off-when the engine starts to come up to temperature. It's really easy to do that with the GM 6.2/6.5s. Not so much with the 6.9/7.3s because of the way their wires lay out. It's not impossible, just more difficult to do.
I wish I messed with the wires! That can't have anything to do with it since none of the IP wires have been touched since I left Wes's shop in 2018.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that hitch extension is ok, just never thought they were all that safe.
Looks like it should have a wheel under it for support.:bail

Goat
Same here. I use a 10" one to clear the tailgate mounted spare on the Tracker. But I'm only using it for a cargo tray doing light duty. But I guess with the proper bracing it's okay?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Exactly. I'm sure they have to do something before they can sell them to get them certified or whatever but all I see is a huge lever and it doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling!

@Nero I would love a picture of whatever that brace underneath it is. I've seen them with the chains on them and that's fine but it's the length and leverage that have always concerned me. Wouldn't bother me at all if there was something going equally far in front to offset the torque load on the hitch.

Yes of course I'm paranoid LOL

Here ya go.
Instead of using 6 bolts, this one uses 10, and has plates on both the frame and the hitch to really beef it up.

You must be registered for see images attach

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 100 degree heat yesterday, I decided to start the process of getting ac in my truck. I've included pics of the start of the day up to where I left off, and the bone pile of parts. After getting this far into it, I've decided I'm going to replace the heater core as well. There was a few tricky screws for the evaporator core box, so that took some patience. That, and a bore scope to see just where they were located.
/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20240601_193323.jpg
    20240601_193323.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 5

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oregon must have some real issues with thieves if you have to chain up your spare tire carrier.
:backoff
Nah I did that because its fallen off on me before.
Drove back and found it though so there's that.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
My buddies dragged me to the dirt drags last second and a random girl convinced me to sign up so here we are
Kinda like one of those "slow tractor races". Where it's a race to see who has the lowest gearing that can move at an idle.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda like one of those "slow tractor races". Where it's a race to see who has the lowest gearing that can move at an idle.

This past december there was a marine forum thread of a guy delivering a boat from San Diego to Hawaii - boat has twin Mann diesel engines and to conserve fuel they stayed at idle for about 3 weeks and made it to the islands - during a storm. Just cannot wrap my head around an engine staying at 600 rpms for weeks and getting the job done
Nucking futs think about it all the time when releasing a clutch and moving slow

12pilgrim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys. Here's what I did today (after church). Dug out this soil and replanted my nice zoysia grass.. I may have spilled a little diesel when I was cleaning my tank out.. not a great lawn care move apparently (unless you like really tan grass?)

Attachments

• 20240602_115341.jpg
    20240602_115341.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 8

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past december there was a marine forum thread of a guy delivering a boat from San Diego to Hawaii - boat has twin Mann diesel engines and to conserve fuel they stayed at idle for about 3 weeks and made it to the islands - during a storm. Just cannot wrap my head around an engine staying at 600 rpms for weeks and getting the job done
Nucking futs think about it all the time when releasing a clutch and moving slow
Haha that's bonkers. Apparently the crew's wages and time were less that the fuel saved?! Or a sole proprietor with nothing else on the schedule...
He'd probably have saved close to the same fuel and gotten there 2x faster at 1200 rpm without risk of damaging the engine via cylinder wash down. I'm sure the engine's volumetric efficiency is actually better at 1200 than 600rpm. Then again, the resistance/friction of the water would go up too, though I can't say by how much or how fast each RPM makes the boat go. Gah, I've stumbled upon another mental wormhole!