Scrapping engine, any valuable parts?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Finally got around to tearing down an engine I got earlier this year. It will be going to scrap soon. Heads I assume are worthless as new castings are available, glow plug broke off in each. I removed the precups as I notice people are looking for them from time to time. Pulled the cam as I may use the gear on my 6.9 if it has the old style, and the cam can be a good core for whatever grind I get eventually. Anything is the bottom end worth pulling out to hang on to or sell? Have the balancer, front cover, pulleys, etc off the front that I can clean up and use on mine or sell. This engine had water in several cylinders and is seized. Crank and rods may be serviceable, but are they in demand at all? Thought about pulling the piston cooling jets, not sure if there's any value or if they're still available new? Bellhousing adapter plate on the back worth anything? Want to clear out space but just don't want to scrap anything that is NLA and may be in demand.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
New heads are no longer available and thats a sad note. Yes, save the cooling jets. The cam will fit any idi engine. They are the same be it 6.9, 7.3 or 7.3 turbo engine. If the cam gear has 2 drilled and threaded holes for removal then its the older gear and not what you want. The gear you want has a balance lug on the back side and no drilled holes. You remove it you place the gear puller thru the 3 rectangle holes in it.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Thanks. It has the newer gear so I saved that. Got the crank and 7 pistons out and the piston cooling jets which I listed in classifieds. Will probably scrap the heavy bits in a week or two. If anyone wants a crank or other misc bits let me know.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd save the crank, rods & heads unless you just can't afford the space. One of those things where every one that goes away is gone forever, and every now and again you need them. Little stuff too - pushrods, lifter keepers, oil jets, intake, valve covers.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I can try to pull the last piston out and save that rod too. Crank and rods I can hold on to for a while, I'll list them in classifieds, but they gotta sell (cheap!) because I don't have the space to be a historian for everything I touch. Crank journals I wiped down looked fine, it just sat outside uncovered and rusted out the bores. Doubt anyone wants the block, very crusty in coolant passages and would need all new sleeves, but again if anyone wants it you can have it real cheap. I value this stuff at scrap prices but don't want to waste usable parts if there is someone who wants it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mic the bore, that will tell you if its useable or not...