Power Steering question

divemaster5734

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on a truck that has sat for 13 years.
Got the engine running, and idled it for around 25 minutes to check for leaks and let the oil get everywhere it's going to get, and didn't even think about the power steering fluid, so the pump ran dry for the entire time.
Replaced the pressure hose going to the gear box and filled the reservoir, and nothing.
Let it run for about 15 minutes, adding a little when the level dropped.
All in all it took just under 1 quart of ATF.
Can still barely turn the wheel at all.
I'm thinking I blew the pump by running it for so long without fluid.
There's no leaks anywhere, and it used to work well.
I don't mind getting a new pump, but don't want to just randomly throw parts at it.
Not sure if I could have screwed up the gear box, or, if there's a process to bleed the air out in case there's an air pocket that could be trapped somewhere.
Insight appreciated.
Thanks.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Working on a truck that has sat for 13 years.
Got the engine running, and idled it for around 25 minutes to check for leaks and let the oil get everywhere it's going to get, and didn't even think about the power steering fluid, so the pump ran dry for the entire time.
Replaced the pressure hose going to the gear box and filled the reservoir, and nothing.
Let it run for about 15 minutes, adding a little when the level dropped.
All in all it took just under 1 quart of ATF.
Can still barely turn the wheel at all.
I'm thinking I blew the pump by running it for so long without fluid.
There's no leaks anywhere, and it used to work well.
I don't mind getting a new pump, but don't want to just randomly throw parts at it.
Not sure if I could have screwed up the gear box, or, if there's a process to bleed the air out in case there's an air pocket that could be trapped somewhere.
Insight appreciated.
Thanks.

It should air bleed just by turning the wheel back and forth. The level will go down a few times. 25 minutes is excessive, 5 would be more than enough.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Pump is probably done for.

How I bleed them, at engine off, turn wheel stop to stop with front wheels off ground, top off fluid. Sometimes I'll even use a drill to manually spin up the pump and then turn the wheels.
If you can't fit a drill in there, start engine and immediately top off fluid, turn wheels, top off, repeat.